/usr/portsnap vs. /var/db/portsnap

Colin Percival cperciva at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 7 14:42:53 GMT 2005

Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Colin Percival <cperciva at freebsd.org> wrote:
> cp> Hiroki Sato wrote:
> cp> >  So, I would like the server-side bits to be imported if portsnap will
> cp> >  be in the base system.
> cp>
> cp> By "server-side", do you mean
> cp> a) The code which builds the portsnap files,
> cp> b) The code which mirrors them, or
> cp> c) The web server (Apache) which actually sits on port 80 and
> cp> communicates with the portsnap client?
>
>  a) and b).

Those don't belong in src, but I could put them into the projects repo
if people really want them.  I was planning on just providing them to
portmgr and secteam since there's no reason for anyone to be running
their own portsnap builds, very little reason for anyone to be running
a portsnap mirror unless it's a public mirror, and my experience with
FreeBSD Update is that making code available will result in people
trying to use it even if they really shouldn't be using it.  (I've had
many email exchanges about FreeBSD Update which basically ran "I can't
get the FreeBSD Update server code to work, help!", "Why do you want
to run the FreeBSD Update server code?", "Uhh... I have no idea.  I'll
just download the client and use the updates you're building.")

Colin Percival