Proposal to restore traditional BSD behavior in <strings.h>.

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Oct 16 16:58:11 PDT 2004

At 10:44 AM -0700 10/16/04, David O'Brien wrote:
>I'd like to restore the traditional BSD behavior that <strings.h>
>includes the content of <string.h> in addition to the BSD bcmp,
>et. al.  We changed our <strings.h> between 4.x and 5.x and now
>that we're at 5-STABLE I'm finding software that built fine on
>4.x has an issue on 5.x.

I think it is definitely too late to do this for 5.3-RELEASE,
because we have no idea what software might be compiling fine
right now, but may break due to namespace conflicts if <strings.h>
starts pulling in <string.h>.

It looks like 5.x has gone 2 and a half years with <strings.h> not
including <string.h>, and if we also ship 5.3-release in that state
then I suspect there isn't much point in switching back after
5.3-release.  I have no particular objection to the *idea*, but I
think we are past the point were we could make such a change.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu