Adding `pgrep' and `pkill' to /usr/bin

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Mar 24 23:01:32 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> I noticed the upcoming version of OpenBSD will add the commands
> `pkill' and `pgrep', which they picked up from NetBSD.  These
> commands also exist in Solaris and Linux.  Anyone mind if I add
> them to FreeBSD?  I'd just pick up the versions from NetBSD, and
> make whatever changes are needed for them to work on FreeBSD.
>
> (I actually had an idea of adding another option or two to `ps'
> which would have given it abilities similar to `pgrep', but once
> I noticed these I figured it would make more sense to add them)

I think it would be *great* to import any and all of the Solaris
proc tools into FreeBSD.  I tend to think of these utilities as
ps(1), fstat(1), and friends done the proper Unix way (with lots
of simple tools that can be combined for powerful effect.)
For those who haven't seen the rest of the tools, take a look at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=proc&manpath=SunOS+5.9