kldunload DIAGNOSTIC idea...

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jul 21 07:51:22 PDT 2004

[[ only cc'd arch@ ]]

In message: <83182.1090412961 at critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: >Any ideas on how network interfaces should
: >work in this?
:
: I talked with Robert briefly about this yesterday, and the problem
: there is that struct ifnet is embedded in the softc.  If the softc
: had a pointer to the ifnet, then we could do something similar, but
: as long as it's embedded we're stuck.

Why is that the case?  We don't detach the ifnet stuff after deleting
the softc.  Why would a pointer to ifnet in the softc make this
easier?

I mean, I understand that having a pointer would insulate the size of
ifnet from the driver, but there's so many offsets in ifnet that are
encoded in the driver that doesn't seem that big a win.

Warner