[RFC] kldunload -f argument.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 9 07:51:57 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 02:06:56PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
+> In message <6595.1089317548 at critter.freebsd.dk>, Poul-Henning Kamp writes:
+> >
+> >In an ideal situation, unmount(8) will fail to unload if the
+> >filesystem is in use but the administrator has the option of applying
+> >the -f(orce) option which tells the kernel: "umount at any cost" [3].
+> >
+> >
+> >We do not have the same flexibility with kldunload(8), and this is
+> >leading to a minor spot of trouble for modules which autoattach to
+> >things, like for instance GEOM classes where it can be very hard if
+> >not impossible to get the module idle from userland so it can be
+> >unloaded.
+>
+> Here is a patch which does this:
+>
+> 	http://phk.freebsd.dk/patch/kldunload.patch
+>
+> Tests, comments etc welcome!

Could we implement those new flags as a flags, i.e:

#define	LINKER_UNLOAD_FORCE	0x01
(only this)

So we don't have to create another syscall when we want to add something
in the future.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl