[RFC] kldunload -f argument.

Brian Somers brian at Awfulhak.org
Fri Jul 9 03:37:41 PDT 2004

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 22:12:28 +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In the new world order, a new event is introduced MOD_QUIESCE[1].
[.....]
> Comments ?

I would have thought a MOD_UNQUIESCE would be required too - maybe called
MOD_ACTIVATE (but I don't care much about the name).  It'd make things
more orthogonal.

When a module is loaded, it would be in a quiescent state allowing only a
MOD_UNLOAD or a MOD_ACTIVATE.  It's open for business between MOD_ACTIVATE
and MOD_QUIESCE.

The idea is that the user can be more active in getting rid of the active
module by QUIESCEing it, then running around murdering processes before
unloading it.

A couple of new flags could be added:

kldload -a module	don't activate it
kldunload -q module	only quiesce the module

kldstat would need to have a column to show whether a module was quiescent.

I'm not sure if kldunload should MOD_ACTIVATE if the MOD_QUIESCE succeeds
and the MOD_UNLOAD fails.... just an implementation detail I guess.