per-device sysctls

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Thu Feb 26 10:47:14 PST 2004

"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
> des at des.no (Dag-Erling Smørgrav) writes:
> :  1) it is immensely easier to access
> From whose point of view.

Programmatically.  The in-kernel implementation is much simpler, and
the userland code required to access it will also be simpler.
Accessing individual devices (once you know where they are) should
also be much simpler since devinfo only gives you "all or nothing".

> :  2) it gives drivers a well-defined place to put their per-device
> :     sysctl variables - devinfo doesn't address that issue at all
> That is a good reason to transitioning to this, so long as we can come
> up with a good way to represent detached nodes.

As long as they have a device_t, it should be a piece of cake.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no