rc.d and ports

Eivind Eklund eivind at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 24 07:25:26 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:14:52PM +0100, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:
> Mike Makonnen wrote:
> >>them
> >>to go away with the port. Nobody (and especially not ports) should edit
> >>whatever/defaults/rc.conf, and how would I otherwise cope with the
> >>situation
> >>that default flags may change?
> >
> >Then the ports can use /usr/local/etc/rc.conf.d. When the port is deleted
> >it can just delete the appropriate conf file in that directory without the
> >need to edit any files.
>
> ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.conf.d files may be edited by the user, so you can't simply
> delete them.

Yes, we can.  These are defaults *as supplied from FreeBSD*, and editing
them is an error.

I think that we might want a more telling name
(${PREFIX}/etc/defaults/rc.conf.d/ or ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.conf.defaults/ -
I prefer the former).  If we want to be really friendly, we might also
want to allow per-port override files, make sure the defaults are
suitably labelled inside each file, and set them schg so the user have
to work really hard to shoot himself in the foot.

But if we use default files, we definately can and should delete them
when we wipe the port.

The other alternative is to use a full merge system for port config
files.  I've put up a draft of a design for extending etcmerge to
support this at
	http://people.freebsd.org/~eivind/etcmerge.ports

However, having parts of the system come and go at will is a really hard
job for any config file manager.

Eivind.