Read Copy Update

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Fri Feb 20 09:54:32 PST 2004

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Doug White wrote:

> > That would be a problem unless the patent owner (Sequent, i.e. IBM)
> > could be encouraged to grant a similar license for BSD software.
>
> Note that SCO is trying to claim that RCU is derviative of SysV, so it
> might be a good idea to steer clear of this until that issue is
> resolved... which might be a while. :)

Hmmm, I don't think that is the case at all. They are, ISTM, claiming that
the RCU code contributed to Linux is derived from SysV. That is, they are
making a contractual and copyright cliam, I think.

It would not be hard to write a non-derived implementation.

The more important issue is the Patent issue, but I think there are ways
to get IBM to grant royalty free access, after all, they have done it for
Linux.

Regards
-----