newbus ioport usage

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Feb 3 12:17:19 PST 2004

[[ I'll draft a longer reply this evening ]]

In message: <20040203111312.Q32201 at root.org>
            Nate Lawson <nate at root.org> writes:
: 1. Do I have to do all the bus_set_handle gyrations found in nexus?

I think so.  I'd have to look at the code.  You may be able to  copy
the bus_handle from the BUS_ALLOC_RESOURCE resource.

: I
: thought that they could be dispensed with since nexus should do all those
: when acpi0 allocates resources from it with BUS_ALLOC_RESOURCE.

It all depends on the details (eg, I'd have to look at the code you
are writing).

: I can
: certainly leave out the PC98 ifdefs since I'm relatively certain there are
: no PC98 ACPI machines, right?

There never was or will be a ACPI implementation for pc98.

: In the future, I'll make two passes, first to detect system resource
: objects (PNP0C01 and PNP0C02) and reserve resources and the second to
: actually probe acpi devices.  I'd rather wait for newbus to do this
: multi-pass approach than attempt it myself with hacks to try to localize
: it.

Yes.  We need a better discovery phase followed by an attach phase.  I
don't know if this is a newbus API change yet or not.  I can see it
being done with most of the APIs that are in place now, but a few
tweaks might be in order.

Warner