installing multiple kernels

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Apr 15 07:29:38 PDT 2004

Currently, Makefile.inc1 will only install a single kernel.  If
KERNCONF specifies multiple kernel configs, they are all built, but
only the first one is installed.  This makes sense since otherwise the
last one installed would simply clobber all the other ones.

The attached patch changes that.  It modifies kern.pre.mk to install
each kernel in /boot/<kernelname> instead of /boot/kernel.  It also
modifies Makefile.inc1 to build and install all kernel configs listed
in KERNCONF.  It also adds a script, sys/conf/regkernel.sh, which
keeps a list of installed kernels in /boot/kernels, making sure that
the last one installed is always listed last.

The only missing element is to make the loader read /boot/kernels and
have $kernel default to the last kernel listed there (i.e. the most
recently installed) instead of "kernel".  It would also be nice to
offer a kernel selection menu for the CLI-impaired.  Unfortunately,
I'm afraid my forth skills aren't quite up to the task.  Any takers?

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no