64-bit time_t on sparc64, epilogue(?)

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sat Nov 15 15:02:44 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

> Recently on the freebsd-sparc64 list, it was mentioned that it
> would be nice to upgrade time_t on that port to be 64-bit.  It
> is pretty obvious (to me at least) that we could bite the bullet
> and do it (disruptively) right now.  If we don't, then (IMO) we
> pretty much have to wait until the 6.x-branch.

Considering the scope and potential disruptiveness of such a change, I
think waiting till 6.x is a better avenue, when we can pull the switch on
all the platforms.  This isn't the sort of thing to pull after a .0
release, even if it means more user impact down the road. We already
reserve new major branch releases for serious breakage and no
compatibility guarantees; lets try to save game-breakers like this for
those times.

</metoo>