New newfs vs. half-baked disks patch

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Tue Nov 11 13:52:09 PST 2003

I re-did the patch using a differing magic number, as suggested.  This
approach works quite nicely.  The patch is smaller and does more with
no kernel mods.

This patch does more because a filesystem partially created with newfs
now has an invalid magic number on the first superblock.  This means
older kernels will not mount the filesystem and older fsck will at
least warn about not finding the first superblock.

This patch includes a change to fsck so it will recognize an incomplete
newfs filesystem, exiting with a unique status (11) and issuing the
message "This volume is incomplete, run newfs again."

The patch to newfs includes the -E flag to generate error conditions;
these changes will be committed separately.  Barring lack of
objections, I'd like to commit this tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone who commented on the first round.  This was my first
foray into filesystem programming since my Minix days and you were all
more than generous.

Wes Peters                                              wes at softweyr.com