Patches to compile the kernel with Intel's C/C++ compiler

Morten Rodal morten at rodal.no
Tue Nov 11 07:43:21 PST 2003

Guido van Rooij wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 10:22:21PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>at http://www.leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/ I have some patches
>>which allow to compile the kernel with icc (CC=icc make depend && CC=icc
>>make). They are a joint effort of Marius Strobl and me.
>>
>>The resulting kernel still has some issues (no NFS, some packet loss,
>>... see icc.README in the above mentioned directory), but it boots and
>>runs.
>

> What are the benefits of running an icc compiled kernel?

The Intel C compiler is known to generate far better code for the
Pentium 4 processor family (and more likely the Itanium processors), and
probably others as well.  It certanly beats gcc in most benchmark tests
and other scientific applications.

I have found that icc generates far more, and more accurate, warnings
and errors for programs and this is probably what the FreeBSD kernel
could benefit most from.  Having more than one compiler helps the
developers find bugs faster.

--
Morten Rodal