newfs and mount vs. half-baked disks

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 4 18:28:16 PST 2003

At 5:37 PM -0800 11/4/03, Wes Peters wrote:
>Should extra debugging code like this be committed?  Code like
>this would make it much easier to wrap a regression test around
>newfs, at the cost of introducing non-operational command line
>arguments into utilities.  If anyone has suggestions on how
>to do this, please share.

For what it's worth, I recently added some non-operational
command line arguments into newsyslog.  In my case I decided
to add only *1* new argument, and then all the special
debugging commands are specified as strings to that argument.

This means that only one option-letter is used up, and it
also makes it much much less likely that someone is going to
specify the special debugging/regression options by accident.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu