Moving some items out of src/sbin to src/usr.sbin

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Sat May 31 23:35:14 PDT 2003

Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 12:50:46PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > I would actually be tempted to go farther, and to adopt the SVR4
> > layout for these types of programs, and the stub programs that
> > call them, and put them under /libexec; that probably would not
> > fly to well, even though it would mean you could drop in new
> > file systems, and the tools would "just know" about them.
>
> They already do. mount -t foo will try execing /sbin/mount_foo
> and then /usr/sbin/mount_foo. You'd know that if you read the
> source.

This is disingenuous.  By saying this, you imply that the mount
code is able to access things that, it'd be there in the default
case, of programs with the install disks.

As an example, using your approach, it would be impossible to
install from an NTFS partition... which is to say it'd be
impossible to install from Winwodws XP.

-- Terry