Moving some items out of src/sbin to src/usr.sbin

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Sat May 31 12:52:18 PDT 2003

Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> To cut down on the size of a dynamically-linked root, I'd like to
> repo-copy the following utilities from src/sbin to src/usr.sbin:
>
> mount_portalfs
> mount_nwfs
> mount_smbfs
> natd
> ipnat
>
> Does anyone have any objections?

All the mount programs should be in the same directory.

I would actually be tempted to go farther, and to adopt the SVR4
layout for these types of programs, and the stub programs that
call them, and put them under /libexec; that probably would not
fly to well, even though it would mean you could drop in new
file systems, and the tools would "just know" about them.

If you do go ahead with your plan, make sure to inform the mount
program of the additional directory to look in, and (maybe) add
a "verbose" option, so that it can tell you where it found the
thing that it was exec'ing in order to do the mount, since if
the files are sprinkled all over the directory hierarchy like
pixie-dust, it's going to be difficult to track them down.

-- Terry