`Hiding' libc symbols

Jacques A. Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 6 08:25:43 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:56:06AM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> There is no guarantee that you 'fix' the port by hiding the symbol.  You
> may as well break it. This depends on the function itself and on the
> internal relationships in libc. You have to go through each individual
> port and see what happens anyway.

Please explain.  I _am_ guaranteed that keeping the port from hijacking
strlcpy calls in libc will not break the port.  How could the port rely
on the internals of libc?

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine   . NTT/Verio SME      . FreeBSD UNIX       . Heimdal
nectar at celabo.org . jvidrine at verio.net . nectar at freebsd.org . nectar at kth.se