Not providing static libraries (libkse/libpthread)

Marcel Moolenaar marcel at xcllnt.net
Wed Mar 26 20:31:28 PST 2003

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:05:11PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:

> Just because Solaris and IRIX doesn't mean we shouldn't;
> I'm just using those as examples.

My point really is that if you have good reasons (good reasons for
us) to drop the archive threads library then you should go for it.
Precedence is a good way to make your case, but what applies in
those cases may not apply to us, so what may have been good reasons
for them may not be good reasons for us. Thus, you have to know
(roughly) why they have dropped the archive library if you want to
use them as examples. Just stating that it isn't there may just as
well mean that it hasn't been installed (or bought), not that they
don't have it.

I know HP doesn't have it, but they dropped archive libraries
completely. And as far as I know they followed Sun's example
(as they so often do). Old archive libraries may still be
provided for backward compatibility though...

 Marcel Moolenaar	  USPA: A-39004		 marcel at xcllnt.net