Making a dynamically-linked root

Daniel C. Sobral dcs at tcoip.com.br
Wed Jun 4 06:42:22 PDT 2003

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Mike Makonnen wrote:
>
>>2. What happens if I hose one of the libraries?
>
> I always love this one.  The same thing that happens if you hose
> your shell, any of your kernel modules get corruptes, you hose
> your kernel, you hose any of the files that the boot loader looks
> in before actually loading the kernel, you hose init, or you hose
> mount, or any one of dozens of other files.
>
> It's not like linking shared gives you any kind of statistically
> significant increase in the number of single points of failure or
> the overall MTBF for the overall system.

It doesn't? If /bin/sh is hosed, I use /bin/csh. If /bin/ls is hosed, I
use 'echo *'. If /boot/kernel/kernel gets hosed, I use
/boot/kernel.old/kernel. If a module gets hosed, I don't load it or use
the one in kernel.old. And so forth.

If libc gets hosed, *ALL* programs stop working.

So, I did not have any single point of failure for single file
corruption before. Now I do. But you claim there was not significant
increase, statistically speaking. Could you please point out what am I
missing?

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
E-mail: Daniel.Capo at tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral at tcoip.com.br
         dcs at tcoip.com.br