Making a dynamically-linked root

Gordon Tetlow gordont at gnf.org
Mon Jun 2 12:23:08 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:10:07PM -0700, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > I'm planning on making a dynamically-linked root partition by
> > 5.2. To that end, I'm planning on doing to the following:
> >
> > Integrate Tim Kientzle's /rescue patches into the tree
> > Create /lib and populate with all the libs needed to support dynamically
> >   linked binaries in /bin and /sbin
> > Have a big (probably NO_DYNAMIC_ROOT) knob to switch from static to
> >   dynamic.
>
> I didn't see the bits for /rescue in the attached patch listed to know
> if there is a more updated /rescue patch available, but I just want to
> emphasize the caution necessary for this.

Part of the reason for this email was to communicate to Tim that I'd
like his patches to integrate into my tree.

> On a different note regarding /rescue, would it be possible to add
> less(1) to the rescue set?  In single user mode, scroll lock doesn't
> work and there's no way to read recent entries in UPDATING without

Hmm, my scroll lock works in single-user.

> cat(1) or head(1).  Lastly, on install, given the importance of having
> functioning binaries for /bin and /sbin, has it been considered to
> have the programs executed once before install to see if they can run,
> possibly with the -V flag?
>
> 	 ./[progname] --test
> 	 install [progname] /bin

This isn't a bad idea going down the road.

> Having make bomb out after having the program run a "self test" that
> tests its ability to execute with ld would save many headaches.
>
> As for the performance hit that you describe, have you investigated
> the prebinding work to see how that affects performance with /lib and
> /usr/lib prebound?

I imagine it would help, but I don't think mdodd's prebinding stuff is
to the point where we can use it.

-gordon