Things to remove from /rescue

Mike Makonnen mtm at identd.net
Wed Jul 23 12:48:29 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 01:56:49PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> If you prefer to be sitting at a machine's single user prompt
> one day, going "dang, if only rescue had <foo> I wouldn't be
> totally screwed, and gee, it only cost 5k in disk space as well"
> rather than resurrecting a dead machine during that time, then
> I find that rather odd.  Didn't the original rescue list come
> from NetBSD in the first place where it has already gone through
> one round of revisions?  Or do you all just think that NetBSD's
> rescue is poorly designed and bloated so you need to one-up them
> for some reason?  Maybe NetBSD has ipfw in their rescue because,
> gee, they've gotten a bug report on it?  I wouldn't be so quick
> to discount the experience put into software that we nab from
> other places.

Actually, now that you mentioned it I took a look at their /rescue
and it looks like they don't have any of the ipfilter tools in there.
I don't think ipfw was port to NetBSD. So, it looks like they
don't think firewalls are necessary in /rescue, either.

>I also think that there should be some actual size
> numbers of what we gain by trimming /rescue should be done prior
> to commit.  It can only help to have added functionality for some
> corner case if it only adds a couple of kb in size.

My only real objection to this issue was that those who wanted
to keep ipfw didn't give any reason other than "it might
be useful." If so, then _everything_ in /bin, /sbin/, and
some in /usr/sbin and /usr/bin fall under this category.

This issue is not worth all this argument, so I am simply
withdrawing from this discussion.

Cheers.
--
Mike Makonnen  | GPG-KEY: http://www.identd.net/~mtm/mtm.asc