module opt_* building

Eirik Nygaard eirikn at kerneled.com
Wed Jul 23 03:02:39 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:08:36AM -0700, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> I recently realized that for kernel module building, we can simply create
> a symlink pointing to the opt_*.h file created by config.  (See attached
> patch.)
>
> This only is part of the work.  The problem is that the modules/Makefile's
> define a target, which needs to be overriden in the case of being built
> as part of the kernel, and left intact when building standalone.
>
> The only thing I can think of is to add a opt_xxx.h_def or something
> similar to the target in the modules/Makefile, and then add a dependancy
> on that target in the standalone case.

I did not come up with another way to do it so I used the described
approach. Did not attach the patch, but it can be found at
http://kerneled.com/eirikn/freebsd/kmod_modules.diff

> I have thought about a way to automate building of these options.  It'd
> require setting up a file with defaults to build from.  Extending options
> files?  Yet another place to list options doesn't seem like a good idea.
>
> Comments?

The attached a patch symlinks the opt_*.h files and the files created by
makeobjops.awk(So they don't have to be created several times in one
kernel build).

Sent this mail to John-Mark Gurney last night by mistake, hit the wrong
replay button.

--

Eirik Nygaard <eirikn at bluezone.no>
PGP Key: 83C55EDE