Things to remove from /rescue

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Tue Jul 22 03:12:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:52:03AM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:
>Terry Lambert writes:
>> David O'Brien wrote:
>> > - tar, pax (w/{bz,g}zip) can do everything GNU tar can.
>>
>> I agree with everything but this one.  Neither of these things can
>> make sparse files.
>
>Incorrect. Both can.

Not accurately.  They can detect that a file is sparse by comparing
the st_size and st_blocks fields returned by stat().  They can't
accurately differentiate between a block of NULs and a non-allocated
block in a sparse file.  AFAIK, the only utility that can exactly
reproduce a sparse file is dump/restore.

Peter