Things to remove from /rescue

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at efn.org
Thu Jul 17 01:43:26 PDT 2003

David O'Brien wrote this message on Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 01:08 -0700:
> - ipfw & natd & ipf & ipfs & ipfstat & ipmon & ipnan, why would one needs
>   these?  /rescue is to fix a borked /, not replace PicoBSD.

ipfw I can see as useful.  If you have a kernel that defaults to closed,
and you need to access the network, then this is a problem.  If we had
a loader tunable to make a closed firewall open, then this wouldn't be
needed, but then we introduce the fun security hole of /boot/loader.conf
munging, which is minor...  if someone can modify /boot/loader.conf, you
have bigger fish to fry..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579