CFR: bridge locking

Daniel C. Sobral dcs at tcoip.com.br
Wed Aug 20 12:51:07 PDT 2003

Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Robert Watson wrote:
>

>>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Lars Eggert wrote:
>>

>>>I think you mentioned in the past that NetBSD (OpenBSD?) has bridge code
>>>that implements the pseudo-device approach?
>

> FreeBSD has both.
> If you use netgraph bridging then you are using a more
> "link level device" like approach.

Nope. Neither netgraph nor bridge(4) produce a pseudo-interface.
Unfortunately. It would have solved the problem I was discussing with
you (alas, I found a y2k thread, in which Archie and you were also
present, about that very same problem).

Netgraph's ng_iface is not enough, because it's much more limitted.

>>I had an older set of patches (4.x?) that implemented a bridgeX interface
>>that saw all of the packets bridged by the bridge.  However, it was just a
>>pseudo-interface for the purposes of BPF -- it didn't carry a link local
>>address, etc.  I never tested for interop with IPv6.  You can find a very
>>old version of this at www.watson.org/~robert/freebsd/bridge.patch.  It
>>required some cleanup of the interactions between the bridge code and IPFW
>>code that have probably since happened in the main tree as well, so the
>>chances of this applying or working are effectively 0. :-)
>>
>>Robert N M Watson             FreeBSD Core Team, TrustedBSD Projects
>>robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories

Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
Divisao de Comunicacao de Dados
Coordenacao de Seguranca
VIVO Centro Oeste Norte
Fones: 55-61-313-7654/Cel: 55-61-9618-0904
E-mail: Daniel.Capo at tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral at tcoip.com.br
         dcs at tcoip.com.br

Outros:
	dcs at newsguy.com
	dcs at freebsd.org
	capo at notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

The penalty for laughing in a courtroom is six months in jail; if it
were not for this penalty, the jury would never hear the evidence.
		-- H. L. Mencken