CFR: bridge locking

Daniel C. Sobral dcs at tcoip.com.br
Wed Aug 20 10:54:05 PDT 2003

Lars Eggert wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/bridge.patch
>>
>> This patch adds locking and also overhauls the bridge code some to do
>> things like replace explicit numbers with #defines and cleanup the
>> debugging code.
>

> This is only mildly related, but maybe someone feels like looking at
> this in addition to your locking changes...
>
> I have a PR about the bridge code sitting at
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/41632; the latest patch
> is at http://www.isi.edu/larse/software/bridge.patch
>
> It does two things:
>
> 1. Disables bridging for IPv6. This is probably too aggressive,
>    since bridging is only problematic for link-local packets, but it
>    makes a routed IPv6 configuration coexist with a bridged IPv4 one.
>
>    A much better fix would be an overhaul of the bridge code so that
>    each bridge has a single link-local address, instead of one per
>    physical interface. (Similar to how it should/must only have one IPv4
>    address, but link-locals are auto-assigned.) Essentially, make
>    a bridge set its own pseudo interface.
>
> 2. It forwards a copy of bridged packets to bpfs attached to interfaces
>    in the bridge set that have no carrier. This makes dhcpd work on an
>    interface of a bridge set that is unplugged.
>
>    Again, a much better fix would be to have bridge sets show up as
>    pseudo interfaces that dhcpd's bpf can then listen on.

If you get bridge to send/receive packets to/from vlan interfaces
attached to them, I'll be forever grateful.

I've been trying to configure a setup where a firewall is connected to
redundant switches, but no solution I found could handle the vlan
attachments. :-(

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes
E-mail: Daniel.Capo at tco.net.br
         Daniel.Sobral at tcoip.com.br
         dcs at tcoip.com.br