CFR: dynamically-linked root patch

Gordon Tetlow gordont at gnf.org
Mon Aug 11 23:55:01 PDT 2003

I've put up what I hope to be my final patch for a dynamically linked
world. Here's my plan for rolling it into place with as little fuss
as possible (hopefully):

1) Add /lib and /libexec to mtree along with the tweaks to rtld-elf
   to prepend /lib to the search path. Add necessary make-goo to
   strap /lib into buildworld.

2) Make rtld installed into /libexec with a compatibility symlink in
   /usr/libexec so existing binaries continue to work.

3) Kick over all the libraries needed to run /bin and /sbin into
   /lib. Only the versioned binaries will be in /lib, the .so
   symlink will continue to live in /usr/lib so the toolchain
   doesn't need to be modified.

4) Add support of a WITH_DYNAMICROOT knob that will make /bin and
   /sbin dynamic. If things go badly, that's what /rescue is for.

5) Optionally, make WITH_DYANMICROOT default (reverse the logic
   actually).

http://people.freebsd.org/~gordon/patches/dynamic.patch

Please look over this patch, if I don't hear any objections or any
ideas as to a better way to integrate in order to keep the
potential for foot shooting down, I'll start integrating them.

-gordon