headsup: swap_pager.c

David Taylor davidt at yadt.co.uk
Sat Aug 2 08:13:49 PDT 2003

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003, Andy Farkas wrote:
> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
> > Well, if I didn't think it would change anything, I surely wouldn't
> > be doing it.
> >
> > Andy, you're on your own from here, I have better ways to use my time.
>
> Rebuttal accepted. Thanks for explaining, not.

If all the committers had to explain every commit to everyone who decided
that they couldn't see any particular benefit in the change, they would
spend their entire lives arguing with people on mailing lists about
different ways of doing things.

The change makes the code cleaner by removing the bogus vnode which has
now been explained by rwatson.  It also saves RAM without limiting you to
one swap device.

You have come up with 0 reasons why making the change would actually be a
bad thing, other than "I can't see any problems in the code I don't
understand[1] so don't change it."

Why, exactly, should anyone waste their time listening to your (or my)
vague opinions of this change?

Also, in a pinch, I'm sure you could do something with mdconfig and create
a swap file on your disk, and use that as emergency swap-space, rather
than having to fit a new physical disk.

[1] You've spent the last 5 posts asking for explainations of the code, so
I assume, like me, you don't particularly understand the internals of the
code.

--
David Taylor
davidt at yadt.co.uk
"The future just ain't what it used to be"