headsup: swap_pager.c

Andy Farkas andyf at speednet.com.au
Sat Aug 2 05:46:29 PDT 2003

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Setting NSWAPDEV=1 is not an option, because that means that
> administrators which find themselves in a pinch can not add another
> swap-space to ride off a storm.

You still are not explaining why the current code is wrong. You say
"bogo-vnode". Please explain what that means.

What does "in a pinch" mean??

What do those numbers in kern.malloc mean??

I've had only one experience in the five years ive been running FreeBSD in
my production environment when swapping has had an affect on normal the
production environment - a mail server that only had 32M RAM and wasnt
tuned properly, one time decided to spawn a dozen or so children each time
the client connected and got kicked off because we have a 5 minute
redial-policy... anyways, the box had so many processes running
(sendmails) that the physical disk couldn't keep up with demand. I sat at
the console for an hour watching the disk-busy LED full on for an hour
while trying to recover from what was happening. I eventually pushed the
'reset' button and hoped for the best.

Please, I know you are are God and are way above me, but try and be gentle
to us lowlife scum that populate userland.....

 :{ andyf at speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator
   Speednet Communications