ports/187561: devel/subversion: bogus "No route to host" caused by www/serf

The BSD Dreamer beastie at tardisi.com
Mon Mar 17 16:30:01 UTC 2014

The following reply was made to PR ports/187561; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: The BSD Dreamer <beastie at tardisi.com>
To: olli hauer <ohauer at gmx.de>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/187561: devel/subversion: bogus "No route to
 host" caused by www/serf
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 11:24:43 -0500

 Looks like the patch is try all the addresses returned for a host.  Instead
 of giving up on the first one because APR prefers ipv6 over ipv4.

 I suppose I could rebuild the APR dependency without the IPV6 default option
 as another fix.

 My guess is that there's something else that makes it skip trying IPv6 if
 there are no interfaces with IPv6, but the logic doesn't know to ignore lo0
 when looking to see if there are any?

 Digging a bit....there's a comment (apr1 source: network_io/unix/sockaddr.c)
 that per RFC "...does not consider loopback addresses when trying to
 determine if IPv4 or IPv6 is configured on a system", so that matches
 allowing IPv6 to remain enabled on loopback.  But, it goes on saying "This is
 a problem if one actually wants to listen on or connect to loopback address
 of a protocol that is not otherwise configured on the system"...so it works
 around that.

 With a note that the routine should accept a flag to determine if the work
 around is wanted.

 So sounds like APR forces loopback in for determining if IPv6 is enabled or
 not.  Which would explains why my disabling IPv6 on loopback worked.

 --
    Name: Lawrence "The Dreamer" Chen    Call: W0LKC
   Snail: 1530 College Ave, A5          Email: beastie at tardisi.com
          Manhattan, KS 66502-2768       Blog: http://lawrencechen.net