Splitting up and simplifying devel/apr1

olli hauer ohauer at gmx.de
Sat Jun 22 10:50:27 UTC 2013

> Hi,
>
> In the discussion on src-committers about svnlite it was mentioned that
> devel/subversion is too heavy to build, pulling in perl, python and
> all the autotools. I've been going over its dependencies and it turns
> out these are all pulled in by devel/apr1, so I've been looking into
> simplifying that port.
>
> It seems the port can easily be split up into two simple ports, one for
> the APR library and one for the APR Utility library. There's no need
> for autotools, libtool, python, etc.
>
> I've attached a patch that creates devel/apr and devel/apr-util.
> Please take a look at them and let me know what you think.
> Another patch can then remove devel/apr1 and update all ports that
> depend on it, but before I spend more time on this, do you agree this

Hi Tijl,

On upstream apr and apr-util are already merged but until now are delivered separate.

In the past they had also sometimes update to apr2 snapshots where they delivered everything in one dist file.

In case there is no planning on upstream to merge the two distfiles into one like the apr2 snapshots then I think we could spend some time and separate the ports.

Regards,
olli