"portmaster -r perl" rebuild almost everything, including apache24, php53 etc.

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 22 09:12:44 UTC 2013

Hello, Boris.
You wrote 22 июня 2013 г., 12:32:29:

>>   Is it ok?
BS> Technically "portmaster -r perl" rebuild all that depends on perl.
BS> So you get what you asked for.

BS> Should almost whole ports be rebuilded at a minor perl upgrade is
BS> another question. And I think that the most resent change in perl
  I'm surprised, that so many ports, which doesn't contain any perl
 code after build (like apache24 and php) depends on perl in runtime.
 Why? I understand, why all p5-* or nod_perl should be rebuild, but
 why php53 should!? For example, php53 doesn't contains perl
 dependency directly. Ok, it depend on apache24 in my configuration,
 let see at apache24. It has USE_PERL5=yes. Let check, does it need it
 at runtime.

% cd /usr/ports/www/apache24
% grep \\.pm pkg-plist
% pkg info -lg apache\* | grep -E '/usr/local/(bin|sbin|lib|libexec)' | xargs ldd | grep perl
ldd: /usr/local/libexec/apache22/httpd.exp: not a dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/local/sbin/apachectl: not a dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/local/sbin/apxs: not a dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/local/sbin/dbmmanage: not a dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/local/sbin/envvars: not a dynamic executable
ldd: /usr/local/sbin/split-logfile: not a dynamic executable
% grep perl /usr/local/sbin/apachectl /usr/local/sbin/apxs /usr/local/sbin/dbmmanage /usr/local/sbin/envvars /usr/local/sbin/split-logfile
/usr/local/sbin/apxs:#!/usr/bin/perl -w
/usr/local/sbin/apxs:                                                     # perl variable.
/usr/local/sbin/dbmmanage:#!/usr/bin/perl
/usr/local/sbin/dbmmanage:# http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/by-module/HTTPD/HTTPD-Tools-x.xx.tar.gz
/usr/local/sbin/split-logfile:#!/usr/bin/perl
%

 Ok, apache24 need perl for its scripts and only for scripts, not for
perl modules! Should we rebuild it on perl upgrade? I don't think so.
Should we rebuild php53, which doesn't depends on these scripts, on
perl upgrade? I'm sure, we shouldn't. Should we rebuild phpMyAdmin or
Roundcube, pure-php software on perl upgrade!? IT IS MADNESS!

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                +++