ports/159608: www/apache22: apache WITH_BDB_BASE settings described in UPDATING do not work

olli hauer ohauer at gmx.de
Mon Aug 27 19:43:35 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-27 19:40, Jo Rhett wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR ports/159608; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: Re: ports/159608: www/apache22: apache WITH_BDB_BASE settings described in UPDATING do not work
> Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:14:04 -0700
>
>  --Apple-Mail=_1390C092-11FC-4BF0-9B9A-25EA06E29CAA
>
>  When did this change? It absolutely wasn't broken since apache 1.3.  I =
>  was happily using the WITH_BDB_BASE settings with apache 2.0 and then =
>  2.2 right up until I tried to recompile for 2.2.21. So it was broken =
>  between 2.2.17 and 2.2.21.
>
>  Finally, the dbmmanage which ships with apache only works with the built =
>  in db, so clearly it is intended to work. Something was broken in the =
>  port.

Ok, lets take a look to the apache related configure parameters.

$> httpd-2.2.2 # ./configure --help | grep -i -e db -e ber
  --enable-authn-dbm      DBM-based authentication control
  --enable-authn-dbd      SQL-based authentication control
  --enable-authz-dbm      DBM-based authorization control
  --enable-dbd            Apache DBD Framework
  --enable-static-htdbm   Build a statically linked version of htdbm

httpd-2.2.22 # ./configure --help | grep -i -e db -e ber
  --enable-authn-dbm      DBM-based authentication control
  --enable-authn-dbd      SQL-based authentication control
  --enable-authz-dbm      DBM-based authorization control
  --enable-dbd            Apache DBD Framework
  --enable-static-htdbm   Build a statically linked version of htdbm
  --enable-static-httxt2dbm
                          Build a statically linked version of httxt2dbm

So we can confirm the WITH_DB... parameters in Makefile.modules was a leftover
from the bundled apr.

May 5 2010:
- 2/5: Update to httpd 2.2.15, default to using devel/apr instead of bundled apr
  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=253782

May 18 2010 (PORTVERSION=2.2.15):
- Remove WITH_APR_FROM_PORTS option. Always use devel/apr1 port now.
  Bundled srclib/apr is never used now.
  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=254535

Now if we go back to RELENG_6_0 and look into the apr port then we can find the following line

- LIB_DEPENDS+= db-4.2.2:${PORTSDIR}/databases/db42
  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/tags/RELEASE_6_0_0/devel/apr/Makefile?annotate=145534

which was changed Apr 6 2006 to
- WITH_BDB= 42+
  http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/apr1/Makefile?r1=158941&r2=158942&

Knowing this, we can say with the removal of the bundled apr/apr-util
in May 18 2010 was the last version which supported WITH_BDB_BASE.

Also we can say not an httpd but an apr-util limitation.
Meanwhile apache also bundles APR-1.4.5 and APR-Util-1.4.1 and they have no BDB_BASE support.

What we really don't want is to backport everything like RHEL, (they are using apr-1.3.x
but together with db47)

The reason to not use the bundled apr/apr-util is we can update both independent in the port
devel/apr, and in case there are security issues or other fixes we can update this port.

If you have a fix for apr-util which will be accepted upstream I'm happy to include the patch.

PS:
Please send plain text only mails to the list.

--
Regards,
olli