Error from apache/dav after system upgrade: Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sat Jul 2 00:15:29 UTC 2011

On 07/01/2011 15:46, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Hmm? The stock /usr/local/etc/apache22/extra/httpd-ssl.conf file has
> the following lines: 58 # Inter-Process Session Cache: 59 # Configure
> the SSL Session Cache: First the mechanism 60 # to use and second the
> expiring timeout (in seconds). 61 #SSLSessionCache
> "dbm:/var/run/ssl_scache" 62 SSLSessionCache
> "shmcb:/var/run/ssl_scache(512000)" 63 SSLSessionCacheTimeout 300 Note
> line 61 is commented out, and line 62 IS NOT commented out. Line 62 is
> what you should be using. We use Apache with SSL on our production web
> infrastructure and do not have any issues with "Session Cache is not
> configured". Please double and triple-check your Apache configuration.
> Every time Apache is upgraded, it's the administrator's responsibility
> to go through and make sure his/her configuration files are properly
> "merged" with the default/stock ones.

The problem is that my configuration had no SSL at all.  httpd-ssl.conf
was not even included. Very simple local site. I didn't touch
configuration during system upgrade.
After upgrade this problem occurs with svn/dav connections. ([warn]
Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache])

This section causes the problem:
<Location /svn/app>
   DAV svn
   SVNPath /home/my-repository
   AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/.htpasswd
   AuthName "Subversion repository"
   AuthType Basic
   require valid-user
</Location>

If such a simple configuration breaks this should be noted in
/usr/ports/UPGRADING.

It asks for SSL certificate on the server with no SSL at all.

Yuri