Tracing fatal error - how to

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Nov 1 19:57:10 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 07:13:21PM +0000, David Southwell wrote:
> I am getting a fatal error when trying to open a specific page.
>
> There are no errors in httpd-error.log or php_error.log.
>
> The server apache-2.2.17_1 is running.
>
> A php script calling  check.php with the following lines:
>
> <?PHP
>   phpInfo();
> ?>
>
> runs fine and does not show any errors.
>
> How can one show what is causing fatal errors?
>
> Thanks in advance for help

If there are no errors in httpd-error.log, your PHP debugging log shows
no errors, and the check.php script in question isn't returning any
errors, then what *is* returning errors?  :-)

PHP fatal errors are usually software exceptions within the PHP script
itself, or possibly the PHP interpreter (missing extension/function,
etc.).  If PHP is built as an Apache module (and not as a CGI), then you
should see these errors in your httpd-error.log unless you've adjusted
certain things in php.ini.