Fwd: Re: 2.3 upgrade on apache.org

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Mon Jul 19 22:41:27 UTC 2010

FYI

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: 2.3 upgrade on apache.org
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:58:45 -0700
From: Paul Querna <paul at querna.org>
To: dev at httpd.apache.org

A small update:

We thought the load average was a little high, in the 70+ range.  We
observed massive CPU usage from the httpd processes, but IO wise the
machine was fine -- tons of IO bandwidth to go around -- it seemed to
be something spinning inside httpd itself.

At first I thought it might of been the event mpm bug, so with the
awesome MPMs as a module, we switched to worker.

Didn't help.

I dug out ktrace, and started seeing what we were doing.

Every httpd processes I looked at was spinning on sendfile:

33893 httpd    CALL
sendfile(0x33,0x23,0x1d3000,0xbe6201,0x7ffffd1e9bd0,0x7ffffd1e9bf8,<invalid=0>)
33893 httpd    RET sendfile -1 errno 35 Resource temporarily unavailable

ktrace/dtrace dumps available to any committer who wants to take a
look.  A similar problem is described in this thread from 2002, about
running 2.0.x on Daedalus:
  <http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@httpd.apache.org/msg04928.html>

I've started tuning up the FreeBSD sysctls for network buffers etc,
but it didn't seem to have a significant effect.

We have now disabled Sendfile on apache.org, and the load average
dropped from ~80 to 0.35.