www/apache22: Apache 2.2.13 fails start // [error] Unable to initialize TLS servername extension callback (incompatible OpenSSL version?)

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at p6m7g8.com
Sun Jan 10 19:50:39 UTC 2010

> since an upgrade of port www/apache22 to version 2.2.13 the httpd
> won't launch anymore.
>
> It is ssl related, perhaps when building against a wrong openssl version.
>
> The error_log says: [error] Unable to initialize TLS servername
> extension callback (incompatible OpenSSL version?)
>
> My installed openssl version, and which version apache22 is built
> against, is openssl-0.9.8k_5 installed from the freebsd8 binary packages.
>
> I can't build openssl-0.9.8k_5 from ports, since it says the port is
> broken due to a missing patchset.

Hi,

Please provide the following additional information --

1) httpd -V
2) ls -1d /var/db/pkg
3) uname -a
4) httpd.conf [snip sensitive info]
5) ldd `which httpd`

Philip M. Gollucci (pgollucci at p6m7g8.com) c: 703.336.9354
VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.