Help with Apache config

S Roulant santropol at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 16 09:17:36 PST 2009

Apologies if this is a really stupid question, but I can't seem to figure
out why httpd won't run.
I've installed Apache 2.2 on FreeBSD in a Parallels virtual machine and am
trying to get it to run on localhost.

I've set the following in httpd.conf:

Listen 127.0.0.1:80
ServerName 127.0.0.1:80
ServerAdmin (my email)
Document Root "/usr/local/www/apache22/data"

I then entered:

#kldload accf_http
#apachectl start

According to all the setup guides I've read, this should be sufficient to
get Apache working when I type 127.0.0.1 or http://localhost into a browser,
however lynx returns the error "unable to connect to remote host" and when I
run ps -a, httpd is not running. Sending a ping to 127.0.0.1 or localhost
works, though.

"#apachectl status" returns the following:
Looking up localhost
Making HTTP connection to localhost
Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host

lynx: Can't access startfile http://localhost/server-status

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated.