ports/131563: [patch] Edit www/apache22/pkg-message to prompt user to add hostname to /etc/hosts

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 07:00:12 PST 2009

The following reply was made to PR ports/131563; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com>
To: "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci at p6m7g8.com>
Cc: "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci at freebsd.org>, bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/131563: [patch] Edit www/apache22/pkg-message to prompt
	user to add hostname to /etc/hosts
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 09:50:08 -0500

 On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Philip M. Gollucci
 <pgollucci at p6m7g8.com> wrote:
 > Glen Barber wrote:
 >>
 >> Right.  Most of the apache startup problems on FreeBSD I see are
 >> /etc/hosts related.  Most of the users experiencing are "new" to
 >> FreeBSD, and neglect adding their hostname to /etc/hosts.  (I know I
 >> still do on occasion.)
 >
 > Configuring the network in /sysinstall at install time does this for you.

 To be honest, I have yet to see this happen, even when using a FQDN as
 a hostname.

 >> I have successfully run Apache (2.0.x and 2.2.x) without a ServerName
 >> directive but a resolvable address (/etc/hosts entry).
 >
 > While its good to have your hostname in /etc/hosts, it doesn't have to be
 > a remote dns server can have it and answer it just fine.

 Not everyone needs an internal DNS server, and if the hostname is not
 a resolvable FQDN, this won't work.

 > The pkg-message isn't meant to replace docs, rather it should really
 > reference docs.

 I agree.  My intent with the PR I submitted was to try to make things
 a little more clear on, as I stated, one of the most common FAQs I see
 regarding Apache on FreeBSD.

 --
 Glen Barber