About httpd 22 bug nº 42829

Jordi Espasa jordi.espasa at opengea.org
Mon Apr 20 18:12:41 UTC 2009

> We can add this patch, but I don't particularly like getting into the
> habbit of doing this unless its something critical.  Its better to lobby
> upstream to make another release which includes it.

I understand you position and I think your reasoning is good, but, in
the other hand, you should also consider that FreeBSD is an widely used
platform in production/enterprise environment. In my case (a hosting
company) the present issue means a great problem: our automatizations
scripts using 'apachectl graceful' a lot of times. This bug only has two
possible ways: a solution or go back to 2.0.x branch.

I repeat that I understand and respect your position (and work, of course!)

> I have a few other tweaks to make I think and I'll bundle it with that
> after the ports freeze ends.

Ok.

Finally I've done the following workaround:

* localize the httpd-2.2.11.tar.bz2 in my /usr/ports/disfiles
* untar it an localize de prefork.c file
* create a http.patch file with the officinal code patch recommended and
apply it in prefork.c
* delete the original httpd-2.2.11.tar.bz2
* create a new httpd-2.2.11.tar.bz2 with the modified prefork.c included
* recompile apache22 with portupgrade(1) using also the NO_CHEKSUM
active to avoid the ports integrity checks

And works fine. The nasty GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG disappear totally with this
simply patch.

--
Thanks,
Jordi Espasa Clofent