apachectl gracefult causes Signal 11 crash after 6.3 to 7.0 upgrade [SOLVED]

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Thu Jun 12 11:21:31 UTC 2008

Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, Jim Pingle wrote:
>> I need to see if I can improve the script any (suggestions are most
>> welcome) then open a PR to see if it -- or logic like it -- can be
>> included in the php-extensions meta port.
>
> Adding the script to the port seems like the way to go (baring an
> upstream fix but it seems like a difficult problem to solve).
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't help me :(
> If I disable everything except either pgsql or mhash (either separately
> or together) Apache crashes with..
>
> #0  0x28ad6d40 in ?? ()
> #1  0x281c6f2e in _pthread_main_np () from /lib/libc.so.7
> #2  0x2819fa0c in puts () from /lib/libc.so.7
> #3  0x281a0177 in gethostbyname () from /lib/libc.so.7
> #4  0x08069a12 in ap_get_local_host ()
> #5  0x08068b9c in ap_fini_vhost_config ()
> #6  0x0805639c in ap_read_config ()
> #7  0x0805f133 in standalone_main ()
> #8  0x08060c1f in main ()
>
> I don't understand why gethostbyname() would call puts() - and why that
> would then crash!
>
> Seems like some threading related wrinkle though as pgsql & mhash are
> the only extensions I have that are linked to libthr.so

I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help with this one in that case. I have a
vague recollection of gethostbyname() crashing for someone else, though. I
thought it had something to do with the ServerName directive and/or an entry
in /etc/hosts -- but unfortunately I don't recall the specifics and my
Google-fu seems to be failing me this morning.

Jim