FireFox error -12229 w/ apache+ssl-1.3.41.1.59

Damian Wiest dwiest at vailsys.com
Tue Jul 29 02:18:16 UTC 2008

I've been tearing my hair out over a problem with the
apache+ssl-1.3.41.1.59 port running under FreeBSD 7.0-release and am
hoping that someone can provide some suggestions.

We have a Perl CGI based web application that was using
apache+ssl-1.3.27.1.48_2 on FreeBSD 4.8.  When we upgraded to the
latest version, we began getting strange errors from a few web browsers;
specifically the latest release of Safari and FireFox 2.0.

FireFox 2.0 will return error code -12229 when the client performs POST
requests; GET requests work fine.  FireFox 3.0 does not return this
error, nor does IE 6 or 7.  The latest version of Safari just generates
an error about being "unable to establish a secure connection".  I
do not see any errors recorded in Apache's log file; the POST request
shows a status code of 200.

>From what I can tell this is most likely a browser error.  I'm wondering
if someone's seen this problem before?  I also don't understand why the
latest release of the apache13-ssl port causes this error to occur
when a much older release did not.  I suppose asking people to upgrade
to FireFox 3 is an option, but I don't have a solution for Safari users.

I'd really appreciate any help with this matter.  If it would help, I
can send my httpsd.conf file along with some packet dumps if you'd like.

Thanks!

-Damian