NameVirtualHost issue

Bit Ingenius bitingenius at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 07:48:47 PDT 2007

  I have a class C address and usually assign an IP to each web site on the server. I'm trying to add a large group of web sites using one IP address for all of them. I have a NameVirtualHost IP.IP.IP.IP set up and about 8 <VirtualHost IP.IP.IP.IP> containers using it right now, but I'm getting mixed results. They seem to work only randomly. Right now the first 2 IP based virtual hosts in the config file work, and the 5th one and last one work, but the rest revert to the default host, which is the first one on the IP list. If I move them around or change some setting the working list can change, but they never all work. They are all identical except for the individual host differences, and an "httpd -S" shows them all with no errors, there are no errors in the log files, and the log file of the default host shows the misplaced hits for the other hosts as if Apache is just sending them there like it thinks it's supposed to.

  I'm running Apache 1.3.37. Any suggestions?