apache, gd and mod_perl2 problem

Thomas Vogt thomas at bsdunix.ch
Fri Feb 16 12:19:25 UTC 2007

Hello

I've a strange problem with apache2.0, gd2 and mod_perl2.
I wrote a small test script which creates a png file in my /tmp
directory.

This perl script works fine if I run it localy on a shell, it works also
as normal cgi script but it doesn't work with apache2 and mod_perl2. It
crashes with: print HF $im->png; (see the whole script below)

httpd-error.log message (debug enabled)
[Tue Feb 13 09:41:34 2007] [notice] child pid 24480 exit signal Abort
trap (6)
t/www in free(): error: pointer to wrong page

The script I'm talking about:
cat buttontest.html

#!/usr/bin/perl
use GD;

# create a new image
$im = new GD::Image(100, 100);

# allocate some colors
$white = $im->colorAllocate(255,255,255);
$black = $im->colorAllocate(0,0,0);
$red = $im->colorAllocate(255,0,0);
$blue = $im->colorAllocate(0,0,255);

# make the background transparent and interlaced
$im->transparent($white);
$im->interlaced('true');
# Put a black frame around the picture
$im->rectangle(0,0,99,99,$black);

# Draw a blue oval
$im->arc(50,50,95,75,0,360,$blue);

# And fill it with red
$im->fill(50,50,$red);

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<h1>Hello world</h1>";

# make sure we are writing to a binary stream
open HF, ">/tmp/file.png";
binmode HF;

# Convert the image to PNG and print it on standard output
# here it crashes with apache
print HF $im->png;
close HF;
print "<p>Foobar";

my httpd.conf:
LoadModule perl_module libexec/apache2/mod_perl.so

PerlModule Apache2::Reload
<Location /perl>
   # -- mod_perl stuff
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::RegistryPrefork
  PerlInitHandler Apache2::Reload
  Options +ExecCGI
  AddHandler cgi-script html png
  PerlOptions +ParseHeaders
  PerlSetVar StatINCDebug On
</Location>

My System:
6.2-RELEASE-p1  (i386)

Packets I use:
apache-2.0.59
png-1.2.12_1
perl-5.8.8
p5-GD-2.35
mod_perl2-2.0.3_
gd-2.0.33_4,11,3
freetype2-2.2.1_1

I compiled everything with -DWITHOUT_X11 knob but I also tested it with
X support too. It doesn't work either. I also tried mod_perl2-2.0.2 to
make sure it's not a new 2.0.3 bug.

The same script works fine on an Ubuntu Linux Server with apache2.0.x,
mod_perl2 and gd.

Any idea?

Regards,
Thomas
--
Terry Lambert:
"It is not unix's job to stop you from shooting your foot. If you so