www/apache21 update?

Clement Laforet clement at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 2 12:49:26 PST 2005

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 07:42:23PM -0800, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> I noticed that www/apache2 installs
> /usr/local/lib/apache2/apr-config whereas www/apache21 installs
> /usr/local/bin/apr-1-config. Is this a mistake or intentional?

It's historical. apache2 used to install his own version of apr. When
I grab maintainership, I decided to keep the old path to respect POLA,
since apache 2.0.x was already stable.
apache21 port is designed to replace devel/apr or to use it if
installed from port. Currently apache 2.1 is a "moving" version and it's
port follow the same way. The day apache 2.2 will be considered as stable,
port will be frozen, and keep the same options, or at least backwark
compatible options.

To answer Paul, I'll blindly depend on devel/apr when I can descently
rely to apr-*-config or whatever to know run time options. Another
point is that, IMHO, I need to guarantee apache users backward
compatiblity, like multiple bdb versions support.
Current apr/ports framework need to support this. First of all is to
finish USE_APACHE=apr. After that, we'll try to unify apr/svn/apache.

clem