[proposal] modular envvars

Hye-Shik Chang perky at i18n.org
Fri Dec 17 06:56:06 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:19:53AM +0100, Clement Laforet wrote:
> [ perky@ is Cc'd since www/mod_python3 could use it ]
>
> Guys,
>
> At the moment, envvars is deleted during upgrade, which is *ugly*. I
> could compare envvars and envvars-std, but I'd like to make envvars
> modular. For example you put your stuff in
> ${PREFIX}/etc/apache/envvars/*.env and it will be automatically read by
> envvars (at the _end_ of the file).
>
> How do you like the idea?

I'll be happy if we adopt debian-like config installation system
here.  It will be like this:

apache2 port creates a directory on its installation:

/usr/local/sbin/apache2-envvars.d/

And apache module ports which wants some modification on envvars
(namely, www/mod_python{,3}) install its own configuration under
there:

/usr/local/sbin/apache2-envvars.d/mod_python.sh
/usr/local/sbin/apache2-envvars.d/mod_python3.sh
/usr/local/sbin/apache2-envvars.d/mod_yet_another.sh

And, envvars contains a script which traverses the directory.
like:

for f in /usr/local/sbin/apache2/envvars.d/*; do
    source $f;
done

I found this idea from debian's apache package and it looks very
useful for not only envvars but also httpd.conf. (we have several
ports that needs modification on httpd.conf in the ports already)

It was just an idea.  :-)

Hye-Shik