[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD.org outgoing mail system changes

Peter Wemm peter at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 14 19:45:30 UTC 2019

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we need to change the outgoing SMTP
server address for FreeBSD.org email.  We are aware that there are going to be
challenges due to SMTP sender reputation systems.

At present, email is sent from:
mx2.freebsd.org 8.8.178.116 2001:1900:2254:206a::19:2

It will be changing to:
mx2.freebsd.org 96.47.72.81 2610:1c1:1:606c::19:2

These addresses have been listed in our SPF records for some time.  We have
planned to make this change for a while but external circumstances have forced
accelleration of the change.  We must begin rolling out these changes over the
next ~24 hours.

We anticipate that there will be a period of time of frequent false-positive
spam detection with hosted mail providers.  If you find that your FreeBSD email
has gone missing on a hosted mail service, it would be prudent to check your
spam folders.  This is likely to require some training to stabilize.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; clusteradm hat.