[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report - Fourth Quarter 2016

Benjamin Kaduk bjk at FreeBSD.org
Tue Feb 14 04:22:02 UTC 2017

FreeBSD Project Quarterly Status Report - 4th Quarter 2016

   Another year has passed (and another has gotten well underway, while we
   worked to assemble this report). Over the past two years that I have
   been part of the monthly@ team that assembles these reports, it has
   been enlightening to watch the individual entries pass through my emacs
   and/or vim. These reports give me a picture of what is going on with
   FreeBSD that I could not get just from reading commit mail; I hope that
   is also true for our readers.

   This quarter brings the usual mix of continuations of many stalwart
   projects and entires of new participants, as well as the return of some
   items after a few quarters' hiatus. Enjoy and be enlightened!

   --Benjamin Kaduk

   The deadline for submissions covering the period from January to March
   2017 is April 7, 2017.

FreeBSD Team Reports

     * FreeBSD Release Engineering Team
     * Ports Collection
     * The FreeBSD Core Team
     * The FreeBSD Foundation

Projects

     * Ceph on FreeBSD
     * OpenBSM
     * Sysctl Exporter for Prometheus
     * The Graphics Stack on FreeBSD

Kernel

     * FreeBSD on Hyper-V and Azure
     * I2C, GPIO, and SPI Support for MinnowBoard

Architectures

     * FreeBSD on ARM Boards
     * FreeBSD/arm64
     * FreeBSD/EC2

Userland Programs

     * libarchive
     * Reproducible Builds in FreeBSD
     * Updates to GDB
     * Using LLVM's LLD Linker as FreeBSD's System Linker

Ports

     * GCC (GNU Compiler Collection)
     * LXQt on FreeBSD
     * Mono
     * Wine
     * Xfce on FreeBSD

FreeBSD Team Reports

FreeBSD Release Engineering Team

   Links
   FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE Announcement

   Contact: FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re at FreeBSD.org>

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is responsible for setting and
   publishing release schedules for official project releases of FreeBSD,
   announcing code freezes, and maintaining the respective branches, among
   other things.

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team in concert with the FreeBSD
   Security Team finalized FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE. FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE was
   announced on October 10, 2016, roughly four weeks after the original
   schedule.

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team would like to specifically thank
   Colin Percival and all members of the FreeBSD Security Team for their
   extra diligence in ensuring that user-facing upgrade paths were
   properly addressed and documented.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Ports Collection

   Links
   About FreeBSD Ports

   Contact: René Ladan <portmgr-secretary at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: FreeBSD Ports Management Team <portmgr at FreeBSD.org>

   The Ports Tree has reached the marker of 27,000 ports, with the PR
   count risen slightly to around 2,250. Of these PRs, 572 are unassigned.
   The last quarter saw 6871 commits by 176 committers. The number of open
   and the number of unassigned PRs both increased lightly since last
   quarter.

   Two commit bits were taken in for safe keeping in the last quarter: jmg
   after 19 months of inactivity, and edwin at his own request. We
   welcomed three new committers: Nikolai Lifanov (lifanov), Jason Bacon,
   and Mikhail Pchelin (misha).

   On the management side, adamw and feld were elected as new portmgr
   members, and rene was promoted to full member. feld is already involved
   in ports-secteam.

   On the infrastructure side, two new USES (lxqt and varnish) were
   introduced. Some default versions were also updated: varnish 4 (new),
   GCC 4.8 to 4.9, Perl 5.20 to 5.24, and Python 3.4 to 3.5. Two major
   ports reached their end-of-life at December 31st and were removed: Perl
   5.18 and Linux Fedora 10 (the default is Linux CentOS 6). Because
   FreeBSD 9.3, 10.1, and 10.2 also reached end-of-life, support for those
   versions was removed from the Ports Tree.

   Some major ports were updated to their latest versions: pkg to 1.9.4,
   Firefox to 50.1.0, Firefox-esr to 45.6.0, Chromium to 54.0.2840.100,
   and Ruby to 2.1.10 / 2.2.6 / 2.3.3. www/node was updated to version 7;
   version 6 was split off as www/node6 for long-term support.

   Behind the scenes, antoine ran 39 exp-runs to verify package updates,
   framework changes, and changes to the base system. bdrewery installed
   new package builders and added builds for FreeBSD 11 for mips, mips64,
   and armv6. He also improved the balancing, monitoring, automation of
   the package builders.

Open tasks:

    1. If you have some spare time, please take up a PR for testing and
       committing.

The FreeBSD Core Team

   Contact: FreeBSD Core Team <core at FreeBSD.org>

   The major concern for Core during the last quarter of 2016 has been
   about maintaining the effectiveness of secteam. The team is primarily
   in need of better project management, both to improve communication
   generally and to allow the other team members to concentrate on the
   technical aspects of handling vulnerabilities.

   To that end, there has been agreement in principle for either the
   FreeBSD Foundation or one of the companies that are major FreeBSD users
   to employ someone specifically in this role.

   Core confirmed that the new support model would go into effect with
   11.0-RELEASE despite the postponement of the switch to a packaged base
   release mechanism. For details of the new support model, please follow
   the links from the security page of the FreeBSD website.

   Core requested the removal of the misc/jive port, on the grounds that
   it had no function other than to turn text into an offensively racist
   parody. This proved controversial, with many seeing this as a first
   step in bowdlerizing the entire ports tree. That is certainly not
   Core's intention. Core's aim here is to help secure the future of the
   FreeBSD project by making it welcoming to all contributors, regardless
   of ethnicity, gender, sexuality or other improper bases for
   discrimintation. While misc/jive may once have been seen as harmless
   fun, today the implicit approval implied by having it in the ports tree
   sends a message at odds with the project's aims.

   The Marketing team and the associated marketing at FreeBSD.org mailing
   list were wound up, due to lack of activity. Messages to
   marketing at FreeBSD.org will be forwarded to the FreeBSD Foundation's
   marketing team instead.

   Core member Allan Jude, who was already the clusteradm liason, became a
   full member of clusteradm.

   An emergency correction to the 11.0 release notes was authorised, as it
   was giving the misleading impression that 802.11n wireless support had
   only just been added, and this misapprehension was being repeated in
   the press. In reality, FreeBSD has had 802.11n support for many years,
   and the announcement should have said that support had been added to
   many additional device drivers.

   Discussions about a proposal to improve Unicode support are on-going.
   FreeBSD is already standards conformant, but the propsal is to switch
   to a __STDC_ISO_10646_ implementation, similar to what Linux glibc
   currently uses. Opinions are divided on the technical merits of the new
   approach.

   There were the usual quota of queries about licensing and other legal
   matters:
     * Plans to create a GPLv3 overlay for the base system were shelved in
       the light of faster than expected progress at enabling building the
       world using an external toolchain.
     * The trademarks page on the website was updated to show the current
       owners of a number of trademarks in their approved form.
     * In the absence of a tool to extract and summarize all of the
       relevant information, the obligation in the BSD license that
       "Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
       documentation and/or other materials provided with the
       distribution." is fulfilled by providing a tarball of the system
       sources with their embedded copyright statements.
     * The European Court of Justice's "Right to be Forgotten" only
       applies to search engines, and the FreeBSD project is not one of
       those, so it need not take any action.
     * Core is following closely discussions within the LLVM project
       regarding a change of license which, if implemented, might require
       an audit of the entire ports tree to discover all packages that
       contain binaries linked against libc++ and ensure that they are
       licensed compatibly with LLVM. However, indications are that the
       LLVM project will not adopt such changes.
     * The "Open Source Exception" in the firmware license means that
       committing a "binary blob" driver for the Nvidia Jetson TK1 XHCI
       device is acceptable.

   During this quarter four new commit bits were awarded. Please welcome
   Dexuan Cui, David Bright, Konrad Witaszczyk, and Piotr Stefaniak. We
   were sorry to see Edwin Lansing hang up his commit bits and step down
   from portmgr.

The FreeBSD Foundation

   Links
   FreeBSD Foundation Website

   Contact: Deb Goodkin <deb at FreeBSDFoundation.org>

   The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated
   to supporting and promoting the FreeBSD Project and community
   worldwide. Funding comes from individual and corporate donations and is
   used to fund and manage software development projects, conferences and
   developer summits, and provide travel grants to FreeBSD contributors.
   The Foundation purchases and supports hardware to improve and maintain
   FreeBSD infrastructure; publishes marketing material to promote,
   educate, and advocate for the FreeBSD Project; facilitates
   collaboration between commercial vendors and FreeBSD developers; and
   finally, represents the FreeBSD Project in executing contracts, license
   agreements, and other legal arrangements that require a recognized
   legal entity.

   Here are some highlights of what we did to help FreeBSD last quarter:

   Fundraising Efforts

   Our work is 100% funded by your donations. We raised $1,527,540 in 2016
   from 1471 donors! Thank you to everyone who made a donation to help us
   continue our efforts in 2017 to support the FreeBSD Project and
   community worldwide! You can make a donation here to our 2017
   fundraising campaign: https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/donate/.

   OS Improvements

   The Foundation improves the FreeBSD operating system by employing our
   technical staff to maintain and improve critical kernel subsystems, add
   features and functionality, and fix problems. This also includes
   funding separate project grants like the arm64 port, blacklistd access
   control daemon, and integration of VIMAGE support, to make sure that
   FreeBSD remains a viable solution for research, education, computing,
   products and more.

   Large projects supported last year include:
     * arm64 port
     * VIMAGE Integration
     * Toolchain work
     * blacklistd access control daemon

   The Foundation team worked on a technology roadmap for 2017-2018 during
   our board meeting in November.

   Staff and board members continued hosting bi-weekly conference calls to
   facilitate efforts for individuals to collaborate on different
   technologies.

   You can find out more about the support we provided by reading
   individual updates from Ed Maste, Konstatin Belousov, and Edward
   Napierala in this report.

   Release Engineering

   The Foundation provides a full-time staff member to lead the release
   engineering efforts. This has provided timely and reliable releases
   over the last few years.

   Last quarter, our full-time staff member worked with the FreeBSD
   Release Engineering and Security Teams to finalize 11.0-RELEASE. He
   also added support for the powerpcspe architecture to the 12-CURRENT
   snapshot builds, and continued work on packaging the base system with
   pkg(8). He also continued producing 10-STABLE, 11-STABLE, and
   12-CURRENT development snapshot builds throughout the quarter.

   You can find out more about the support we provided to the Release
   Engineering Team by reading their status update in this report.

   Supporting FreeBSD Infrastructure

   The Foundation provides hardware and support to improve the FreeBSD
   infrastructure. This year, we purchased the following hardware to
   improve the build, continuous integration, and platform processes:
     * A server to reduce the build time from over an hour to 20 minutes
       for the continuous integration process. You can find out more
       information here: https://ci.FreeBSD.org/ .
     * Two ThunderX servers for native package builds for the
       FreeBSD/arm64 architecture.
     * Two servers to improve release engineering builds.
     * Four servers to improve package builds.
     * Four servers as build slaves to increase the number of builds in
       the continuous integration process.

   FreeBSD Advocacy and Education

   A large part of our efforts are dedicated to advocating for the
   Project. This includes promoting work being done by others with
   FreeBSD; producing advocacy literature to teach people about FreeBSD
   and help make the path to starting using FreeBSD or contributing to the
   Project easier; and attending and getting other FreeBSD contributors to
   volunteer to run FreeBSD events, staff FreeBSD tables, and give FreeBSD
   presentations.

   Here is a list highlighting some of the advocacy and education work we
   did last year:
     * Attended and/or sponsored 24 events around the world
     * Provided 15 Travel Grants to developers
     * Created new and updated marketing literature including:
          + Updated FreeBSD 10 Brochure
          + New TeachBSD postcard to spread the word about the program
          + Google Summer of Code flyer
          + FreeBSD 11 Brochure
          + Updated Recruiting Flyer
          + Updated Get Involved Flyer
          + FreeBSD as a Platform for Research Flyer
     * Created a series of FreeBSD How-to Guides:
          + Installing FreeBSD with VirtualBox (Mac/Windows)
          + Installing a Desktop Environment on FreeBSD
          + Installing FreeBSD for Raspberry Pi
          + Installing PC-BSD as a Primary Operating System
          + FreeBSD Setup Tips
     * Acquired New Testimonials:
          + Accelerations Systems
          + NeoSmart Technologies
          + Chelsio Communications
          + Crescent River Port Pilots' Association
          + IXC
          + Stormshield
     * Updated the FreeBSD Project and Foundation Branding:
          + New FreeBSD Foundation website and logo
          + Updated Brand Assets page to include more information about
            the FreeBSD Project and FreeBSD Foundation logos.

   We published our September/October and November/December Journal issues
   at https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/journal/ .

   We also published monthly newsletters to highlight work being done to
   support FreeBSD, tell you about upcoming events, and provide other
   information to keep you in the loop of what we are doing to support the
   FreeBSD Project and community:
   https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/news-and-events/newsletter/ .

   Conferences and Events

   The FreeBSD Foundation sponsors many conferences, events, and summits
   around the globe. These events can be BSD-related, open source, or
   technology events geared towards underrepresented groups.

   We support the FreeBSD-focused events to help provide a venue for
   sharing knowledge, to work together on projects, and to facilitate
   collaboration between developers and commercial users. This all helps
   provide a healthy ecosystem. We support the non-FreeBSD events to
   promote and raise awareness of FreeBSD, to increase the use of FreeBSD
   in different applications, and to recruit more contributors to the
   Project.

   We also sponsored or attended the following events last quarter:
     * Ohio LinuxFest, October, Columbus, Ohio
     * Grace Hopper 2016, October, Houston, TX
     * COSC 2016, October, Beijing, China
     * Bay Area FreeBSD Vendor and Devoloper's Summit and MeetBSD 2016,
       November, Berkely, CA
     * USENIX LISA '16, December, Boston, MA
     * OSC 2016, December, Beijing, China

   Get the whole list of conferences we supported in 2016 at:
   https://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org/blog/recap-of-2016-advocacy-efforts/ .

   Legal/FreeBSD IP

   The Foundation owns the FreeBSD trademarks, and it is our
   responsibility to protect them. We continued to review requests and
   grant permission to use the trademarks. We also provided legal support
   for the core team to investigate the status of certain patents.

   FreeBSD Community Engagement

   Anne Dickison, our Marketing Director, has been overseeing the efforts
   to rewrite the Project's Code of Conduct to help make this a safe,
   inclusive, and welcoming community. The updated Code of Conduct and
   Report Guidelines are going through the final review process, and will
   be handed off to the Core Team for approval in Q1 2017.

   Go to http://www.FreeBSDfoundation.org to find out how we support
   FreeBSD and how we can help you!

Projects

Ceph on FreeBSD

   Links
   Ceph Main Site

   Contact: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl>

   Ceph is a distributed object store and file system designed to provide
   excellent performance, reliability and scalability:
     * Object Storage
       Ceph provides seamless access to objects using native language
       bindings or radosgw, a REST interface that is compatible with
       applications written for S3 and Swift.
     * Block Storage
       Ceph's RADOS Block Device (RBD) provides access to block device
       images that are striped and replicated across the entire storage
       cluster.
     * File System
       Ceph provides a POSIX-compliant network file system that aims for
       high performance, large data storage, and maximum compatibility
       with legacy applications.

   I started looking into Ceph because the HAST solution with CARP and
   ggate did not really do what I was looking for. But I aim to run a Ceph
   storage cluster of storage nodes that are running ZFS. User stations
   would be running bhyve on RBD disks that are stored in Ceph.

   The FreeBSD build of Ceph includes most of the tools Ceph provides.
   Note that the RBD-dependent items will not work, since FreeBSD does not
   have RBD (yet).

   The most notable progress since the last report:
     * RBD is actually buildable and can be used to manage RADOS BLOCK
       DEVICEs.
     * All tests run to completion for the current selection of tools,
       though the neded (minor) patches have yet to be pulled into HEAD.
     * Cmake is now the only way of building Ceph.
     * The threading/polling code has been reworked for the simple socket
       code. It now uses a self-pipe, instead of using an odd
       shutdown()-signaling Linux feature.
     * The EventKqueue code was modified to work around the "feature" that
       starting threads destroys the kqueue handles. The code was just
       finshed, so it is not yet submitted to the main repository.
     * We investigated differences between FreeBSD and Linux for
       SO_REUSEADDR and SO_REUSEPORT. Fortunately, the code is only used
       during testing, so disabling these features only delays progress in
       the tests.
     * A jenkins instances is regularly testing both ceph/ceph/master and
       wjwithagen/ceph/wip.FreeBSD, so there is regular verification of
       buildability and the tests:
       http://cephdev.digiware.nl:8180/jenkins/ .

   Build Prerequisites

   Compiling and building Ceph is tested on 12-CURRENT with its clang
   3.9.0, but 11-RELEASE will probably also work, given experience with
   clang 3.7.0 from 11-CURRENT. Interestingly, when 12-CURRENT had clang
   3.8.0, that did not work as well as either 3.7.0 or 3.9.0. The clang
   3.4 present in 10-STABLE does not have the required capabilities to
   compile everything.

   The following setup will get things running for FreeBSD:
    1. Install bash and link it in /bin
    2. It is no longer necessary to add a definition of ENODATA to
       /usr/include/errno.h
    3. Clone the github repo (http://github.com/wjwithagen/ceph.git) and
       checkout the "wip.FreeBSD" branch
    4. Run ./do_FreeBSD.sh to start the build.

   The old build method using automake is no longer used; see the
   README.FreeBSD for more details.

   Parts not (yet) included:
     * KRBD: Kernel Rados Block Devices is implemented in the Linux
       kernel, but not in the FreeBSD kernel. Perhaps ggated could be used
       as a template since it does some of the same things as KRBD, just
       between 2 disks. It also has a userspace counterpart, which could
       ease development.
     * BlueStore: FreeBSD and Linux have different AIO APIs, and that
       incompatibility needs to be resolved somehow. Additionally, there
       is discussion in FreeBSD about aio_cancel not working for all
       devicetypes.
     * CephFS: Cython tries to access an internal field in struct dirent,
       which does not compile.
     * Tests that verify the correct working of the above are also
       excluded from the testset.

Open tasks:

    1. Run integration tests to see if the FreeBSD daemons will work with
       a Linux Ceph platform.
    2. Compile and test the user space RBD (Rados Block Device). This
       currently works, but testing has been limitted.
    3. Investigate and see if an in-kernel RBD device could be developed
       akin to FreeBSD's ggate.
    4. Investigate the keystore, which could be embedded in the kernel on
       Linux, and currently prevents building CephFS and some other
       components. The first question whether it is really required, or if
       only KRBD require it.
    5. Scheduler information is not used at the moment, because the
       schedulers work rather differently between FreeBSD and Linux. But
       at a certain point in time, this would need some attention in
       src/common/Thread.cc.
    6. Integrate the FreeBSD /etc/rc.d initscripts in the Ceph stack. This
       helps with testing, but also enables running Ceph on production
       machines.
    7. Build a testcluster and start running some of the teuthology
       integration tests on it.
    8. Design a virtual disk implementation that can be used with bhyve
       and attached to an RBD image.

OpenBSM

   Links
   OpenBSM: Open Source Basic Security Module (BSM) Audit Implementation

   Contact: Christian Brueffer <brueffer at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: TrustedBSD Audit Mailing Mist <trustedbsd-audit at TrustedBSD.org>

   OpenBSM is a BSD-licensed implementation of Sun's Basic Security Module
   (BSM) API and file format. It is the user-space side of the CAPP Audit
   implementations in FreeBSD and Mac OS X. Additionally, the audit trail
   processing tools are expected to work on Linux.

   This quarter saw increased development activity, fueled by the DARPA
   CADETS project, resulting in the release of OpenBSM 1.2 alpha 5. Among
   this release's changes are the ability to specify the kernel's maximum
   audit queue length, sandboxing support for auditreduce(1) and
   praudit(1) on FreeBSD and other systems that support Capsicum, as well
   as the addition of event identifiers for more FreeBSD system calls. The
   complete list of changes is documented in the NEWS file on GitHub. The
   new release will be merged into FreeBSD HEAD and the supported STABLE
   branches shortly.

   This project was sponsored by DARPA/AFRL (in part).

Open tasks:

    1. Test the new release on different versions of FreeBSD, Mac OS X,
       and Linux. In particular, testing on the latest versions of Mac OS
       X would be greatly appreciated.
    2. Fix problems that have been reported via GitHub and the FreeBSD bug
       tracker.
    3. Implement the features mentioned in the TODO list on GitHub.

Sysctl Exporter for Prometheus

   Links
   The Prometheus Project

   Contact: Ed Schouten <ed at FreeBSD.org>

   Prometheus is an Open Source monitoring system that was originally
   built at SoundCloud in 2012. Since 2016, this project is part of the
   Cloud Native Computing Foundation, together with other projects like
   Kubernetes.

   Prometheus scrapes its targets by periodically sending HTTP GET
   requests. Targets then respond by sending key-value pairs of metrics
   and their sample value. Prometheus has a query language, PromQL, that
   can be used to aggregate sample values and specify alerting conditions.
   Tools like Grafana can be used to create fancy dashboards using such
   queries.

   The Prometheus project provides a utility called node_exporter that
   gathers basic system metrics and serves them over HTTP. This utility
   tends to be rather complex, as it has to extract metrics from many
   different sources. On Linux, files in /proc have no uniform format,
   meaning that for every kernel framework a custom collector needs to be
   written.

   On FreeBSD the sitiuation is better, as the data exported through
   sysctl is already structured in such a way that it can easily be
   translated to Prometheus' metrics format. The goal of this project is
   thus to provide a generic exporter for the entire sysctl tree. Not only
   does this prevent unnecessary bloat and indirection, it may also make
   the life of a kernel developer a lot easier. One can easily use
   Prometheus to graph the occurrence of an event over time by
   (temporarily) adding a counter to the kernel.

   An initial version of the sysctl exporter has been integrated into the
   FreeBSD base system in December. It can be run through inetd by
   uncommenting the example provided in inetd.conf. Unfortunately, this
   exporter cannot be merged back to FreeBSD 10.x/11.x, as it depends on
   KBI-breaking changes to sysctl(9).

Open tasks:

    1. Are you using Prometheus or are you interested in using it? Be sure
       to give both Prometheus and this sysctl exporter a try!
    2. It would be nice if we created a set of useful alerting rules and
       placed those in /usr/share/examples. For example, how can one use
       this exporter to monitor the state of GEOM-based RAID arrays? Is
       such information even exported through sysctl?
    3. Prometheus uses a rather clever format for exporting histograms.
       Histograms are useful for expressing the amount of time taken to
       complete certain events (for example, disk operations). Would it be
       possible to add histograms as native data types to sysctl? If so,
       is there any chance they can be implemented without picking up any
       kernel locks?

The Graphics Stack on FreeBSD

   Links
   Graphics Stack Roadmap and Supported Hardware Matrix

   Contact: FreeBSD Graphics Team <FreeBSD-x11 at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Matthew Macy <mmacy at nextbsd.org>

   Good progress on graphics support was made during the weeks around
   Christmas and the new year with the import of Linux 4.9's DRM for i915
   and amdgpu into the drm-next branch of the github repository. The
   amdgpu KMS driver is already somewhat usable, with a few major known
   issues remaining. It now supports GPUs as far back as Southern Islands
   and up to Polaris. The 4.9 update also appears to have fixed a
   regression in i915 that was introduced by the 4.8 merge late this past
   summer. The drm-next branch now supports the Intel integrated graphics
   unit up to Kaby Lake CPUs. To facilitate out-of-the-box support on
   CURRENT, most of the branch-local VM changes were reverted and the
   graphics fault routines converted to use pg_populate. This new
   interface is the source of a couple of regressions causing panics on
   i915 and severe artifacts with amdgpu on integrated GPUs. Mark Johnston
   (markj@) has volunteered to analyze these issues. Please show your
   support and encouragement to Mark for helping to move this project
   towards the finish line.

   The xserver-mesa-next-udev branch was created for the ports development
   repository, and holds Mesa 13.0 and fixes for newer AMD GPUs. It uses a
   fork of the libudev-devd shim, also bringing Mesa closer to the Linux
   upstream. I plan to keep updating drm and amdgpu (for use on my desktop
   and potentially longer term for GPGPU computations) as well as work
   with Mark to address the existing bugs in i915 (assuming that two new
   porters are approved). However, the Linux i915 developers seem to
   aggressively explore the space of possible implementations and use of
   Linux internal APIs, making it prohibitively time consuming to track
   upstream. I am helping someone to learn the ropes of how to replay a
   subset of changes from a Linux release into FreeBSD in the hope that he
   will take over the mantle of drm-next i915 maintainer. Assuming the
   issues listed above are addressed, a port of the linuxkpi, DRM, and KMS
   drivers for use on standard amd64 CURRENT installations is planned.
   Together with upgrades to the relevant graphics ports, this will
   provide experimental support for new AMD and Intel GPUs.

Kernel

FreeBSD on Hyper-V and Azure

   Links
   FreeBSD Virtual Machines on Microsoft Hyper-V

   Contact: Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa at gmail.com>
   Contact: Hongjiang Zhang <honzhan at microsoft.com>
   Contact: Dexuan Cui <decui at microsoft.com>
   Contact: Kylie Liang <kyliel at microsoft.com>

   This project provides native virtualized interfaces for FreeBSD systems
   running on Hyper-V virtualization, improving on the performance of
   traditional emulated evices.

   Per-ring polling, multi-packet RNDIS messages, and system RSS
   integration have been implemented, further optimizing the throughput
   and latency of the Hyper-V network driver.

   Live virtual machine backup is implemented (for now, only for UFS),
   after the VSS (Volume Shadow Copy Service), which it depends on, was
   implemented.

   PCIe pass-through is implemented, and the patches to implement NIC
   SR-IOV are being reviewed on Phabricator.

   vDSO support for speeding up gettimeofday(2) is now implemented.

   The FreeBSD 11.0 image on Azure
   (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/partners/microsoft/FreeBSD110/)
   is now available, in addition to the existing 10.3 image.

   We fixed an issue where SCSI disks would sometimes fail to attach,
   resolving bug 215171 ([Hyper-V] Fail to attach SCSI disk from LUN 8 on
   Win2008R2/Win2012/Win2012R2).

   This project was sponsored by Microsoft.

I2C, GPIO, and SPI Support for MinnowBoard

   Links
   Blog Post

   Contact: Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo at FreeBSD.org>

   The MinnowBoard is an Atom-based x86 board (Intel E38xx Series SoC) in
   a maker-friendly form-factor: it provides convenient access to pins
   that can be used to connect peripherals using one of the standard
   buses: GPIO, SPI, or I2C. These buses are more common in the ARM/MIPS
   world than in x86, so while FreeBSD was able to boot just fine, it
   lacked support for these buses on the MinnowBoard.

   As of r310645, HEAD support all three buses via the ig4(4), bytgpio(4),
   and intelspi drivers. The ig4(4) and bytgpio(4) changes were backported
   to 11-STABLE; intelspi will be MFCed in couple of weeks.

Architectures

FreeBSD on ARM Boards

   Links
   FreeBSD on Allwinner (Sunxi) Systems

   Contact: Ganbold Tsagaankhuu <ganbold at FreeBSD.org>

   The changes necessary to support the Allwinner Consumer IR interface in
   FreeBSD have been committed. The receive (RX) side is supported now and
   the driver is using the evdev framework. It was tested on the
   Cubieboard2 (A20 SoC) using lirc with dfrobot's simple IR remote
   controller.

FreeBSD/arm64

   Links
   FreeBSD arm64 Wiki Page

   Contact: Andrew Turner <andrew at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Oleksandr Tymoshenko <gonzo at FreeBSD.org>

   Support for accessing floating-point registers from the kernel has been
   added. This uses the same KPI as i386 and amd64. This will allow for
   handling places where the floating-point state may be modified, for
   example when calling into UEFI.

   Support for the optional ARMv8 AES instructions was added to the
   kernel. This makes use of the ability to store and restore the floating
   point state. Tests have shown a significant improvement in AES
   performance on ThunderX hardware.

   The Cortex Strings memcpy and memmove functions have been imported into
   the kernel. These are optimised implementations of these common
   functions.

   FreeBSD now boots on the SoftIron Overdrive 3000 using ACPI. The needed
   changes for this have been submitted to phabricator for review. This
   includes booting with SMP enabled, and all currently supported devices.

   Support for the Raspberry Pi 3 has been committed. Most devices work,
   with the exception of WiFi and Bluetooth, as these are attached via an
   as-yet unsupported SDIO bus.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation, and ABT Systems
   Ltd.

FreeBSD/EC2

   Contact: Colin Percival <cperciva at FreeBSD.org>

   This report covers work since the last FreeBSD/EC2 status report
   (2015Q1).

   FreeBSD/EC2 is now part of the regular FreeBSD release build, with
   snapshots and releases being automatically uploaded and copied to all
   available regions. Due to legal restrictions, this does not currently
   include the GovCloud or China (Beijing) regions; anyone wishing to use
   FreeBSD in those regions is encouraged to contact the author.

   The AWS Marketplace reports that approximately 800 users are running
   roughly 2000 FreeBSD EC2 instances. This does not count the likely
   significantly larger number of EC2 instances launched directly through
   the EC2 API and Console, but at least places a lower bound on usage.

   FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE shipped with support for the "enhanced networking"
   capabilities of EC2 C3, C4, R3, I2, D2, and M4 (excluding m4.16xlarge)
   instances. This provides significantly higher network performance than
   the virtual networking available on older EC2 instances and with older
   versions of FreeBSD.

   FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE and later also use indirect segment disk I/Os,
   which yield approximately 20% higher throughput with equal or lower
   latency, and support the 128-vCPU x1.32xlarge instance type.

   FreeBSD now supports the Amazon Simple Systems Manager service ("run
   command").

Open tasks:

    1. Complete a pending reorganization of the accounts used for
       FreeBSD/EC2 releases.
    2. Support "second generation enhanced networking" via the new Elastic
       Network Adapter found in P2, R4, X1, and m4.16xlarge instances.
    3. Provide tools for improved functionality via the Simple Systems
       Manager service: listing installed packages, checking for updates,
       adding/removing users, [your favourite sysadmin task goes here].
    4. Add support for EC2's IPv6 networking to the default FreeBSD/EC2
       configuration.
    5. Continue ongoing interoperability testing between FreeBSD's NFS
       client and the Amazon Elastic File System (NFS-as-a-service).

Userland Programs

libarchive

   Links
   Official Libarchive Homepage

   Contact: Tim Kientzle <kientzle at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Martin Matuska <mm at FreeBSD.org>

   Libarchive is a BSD-licensed archive and compression library originally
   developed as part of FreeBSD. It supports a wide variety of input and
   output formats and also includes three command-line tools: bsdcat,
   bsdcpio and bsdtar. The FreeBSD tar and cpio utilities are taken
   directly from Libarchive, and many other important utilities like ar,
   unzip, and the pkg package manager make use of libarchive's functions.

   Libarchive development in 2016 has been focusing on bug fixes and code
   cleanup, including fixing several critical security issues. Automated
   testing with Travis CI and Jenkins has been introduced and libarchive
   has been added to the Google OSS-Fuzz project. Fuzzing helped detect
   several hidden problems like buffer overflows and memory leaks.

   Over the last few months, NFSv4 ACL support for the pax and restricted
   pax (the default for bsdtar) formats has been completed and merged to
   FreeBSD-CURRENT. NFSv4 ACL entries can now be stored to and restored
   from tar archives.

Open tasks:

    1. More extensive CI testing with FreeBSD on different platforms and
       releases. Currently only 11.0-RELEASE-amd64 gets tested via an
       automated Jenkins job.
    2. As every commit to libarchive may influence the build process of
       FreeBSD ports, the ability to trigger a (semi-)automated exp-run
       for the ports tree would be great.

Reproducible Builds in FreeBSD

   Links
   Base System Reproducible Builds Wiki Page

   Contact: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Ed Maste <emaste at FreeBSD.org>

   Reproducible builds are a set of software development practices which
   create a verifiable path from human readable source code to the binary
   code used by computers. A build is reproducible if given the same
   source code, build environment and build instructions, any party can
   recreate bit-for-bit identical copies of all specified artifacts.

   Baptiste Daroussin and Ed Maste attended the second Reproducible Builds
   Summit last December, in Berin. We discussed issues of common interest
   to operating system providers, including other BSDs and Linux
   distributions.

   Following the summit, changes were committed to the FreeBSD base system
   to address outstanding sources of non-reproducibility. It is now
   possible to build the FreeBSD base system (kernel and userland)
   completely reproducibly, although it currently requires a few
   non-default settings.

   Approximately 80% of the ports tree builds reproducibly, with a few
   work-in-progress patches. Now that the base system can be built
   reproducibly, focus will move on to the ports tree.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation, and The Linux
   Foundation.

Open tasks:

    1. Integrate FreeBSD ports builds into the reprodcible-builds.org
       continuous integration infrastructure.
    2. Integrate reproducible build patches into the ports tree.
    3. Investigate sources of non-reproducibility in individual ports.

Updates to GDB

   Contact: John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Luca Pizzamiglio <luca.pizzamiglio at gmail.com>

   The devel/gdb port has been updated to GDB 7.12.

   7.12 includes additional fixes related to tracing vfork()s. Some of
   these fixes depend on changes to ptrace() in the kernel to report a new
   ptrace stop when the parent of a vfork() resumes.

   Support for FreeBSD/mips userland binaries has been committed upstream.
   These patches, along with support for debugging FreeBSD/mips kernels,
   should be added to the port soon.

Open tasks:

    1. Figure out why the powerpc kgdb targets are not able to unwind the
       stack past the initial frame.
    2. Add support for more platforms (arm, aarch64) to upstream gdb for
       both userland and kgdb.
    3. Add support for debugging powerpc vector registers.
    4. Add support for $_siginfo.
    5. Implement 'info proc' commands.
    6. Implement 'info os' commands.
    7. Debug gdb hangs related to the 'kill' command.

Using LLVM's LLD Linker as FreeBSD's System Linker

   Links
   FreeBSD LLD Wiki Page

   Contact: Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>
   Contact: Ed Maste <emaste at FreeBSD.org>

   LLD is the linker in the LLVM family of projects. It is a
   high-performance linker that supports the ELF, COFF and Mach-O object
   formats. It aims to be compatible with the common linkers used for each
   file format. For ELF this is the GNU Binary File Descriptor (BFD) ld
   and GNU gold. However, LLD's authors are not constrained by strict
   compatibility where it would hamper performance or desired
   functionality.

   LLD developers made significant progress over the last quarter. With
   changes committed to both LLD and FreeBSD we reached a major milestone:
   it is now possible to link the entire FreeBSD/amd64 base system (kernel
   and userland) with LLD.

   Now that the base system links with LLD, we have started investigating
   linking applications in the ports tree with LLD. Through this process
   we are identifying limitations or bugs in both LLD and a number of
   FreeBSD ports. With a few work-in-progress patches we can link
   approximately 95% of the ports collection with LLD on amd64.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Open tasks:

    1. Fix libtool to detect LLD and pass the same command line arguments
       as for GNU ld and gold.
    2. Investigate the remaining amd64 port build failures.
    3. Investigate and improve LLD on arm64, i386, arm, and other
       non-amd64 architectures.
    4. Extensive testing.

Ports

GCC (GNU Compiler Collection)

   Links
   GCC Home Page

   Contact: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Andreas Tobler <andreast at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Antoine Brodin <antoine at FreeBSD.org>

   Long awaited, the update to GCC 4.9 as the default version of GCC in
   the Ports Collection (lang/gcc port, USE_GCC=yes in Makefiles) has
   arrived, an update from GCC 4.8. This brings quite a number of
   improvements; see https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.9/changes.html for details.

   lang/gcc49 has moved to the GCC 4.9.4 release which marks the closure
   of the GCC 4.9 branch and release series.

   (Yes, this means we should rather get the next version upgrade for
   lang/gcc in place soon. That update per se is straightforward, but any
   help in addressing the fallout of broken ports would be great -- please
   let us know if you want to help!)

   lang/gcc6 has been updated first to GCC 6.2 and then GCC 6.3, bringing
   a fair number of fixes, and should now be suitable for production use.

Open tasks:

    1. Update lang/gcc (and hence USE_GCC=yes) to GCC 5.
    2. Support for AArch64.

LXQt on FreeBSD

   Links
   LXQt Project

   Contact: Olivier Duchateau <olivierd at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Jesper Schmitz Mouridsen <jesper at schmitz.computer>

   LXQt is the Qt port of and the upcoming version of LXDE, the
   Lightweight Desktop Environment. It is the product of a merge between
   the LXDE-Qt and Razor-qt projects.

   The porting effort remains very much a work in progress: LXQt requires
   some components of Plasma 5, the new major KDE workspace.

   We imported some core components (it was necessary to update to
   x11/qterminal 0.7.0):
     * devel/lxqt-build-tools
     * devel/liblxqt
     * devel/qtxdg
     * x11/libfm-qt

   Standalone applications:
     * graphics/lximage-qt
     * x11-fm/pcmanfm-qt

   We also have updates for:
     * x11/qterminal 0.7.1
     * x11-toolkits/qtermwidget 0.7.1
     * Updating the Porter's Handbook for LXQt support
       (https://bugs.FreeBSD.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=215650)

Open tasks:

    1. Improve support in sysutils/lxqt-admin (especially date and time
       settings).

Mono

   Links
   Mono Homepage

   Contact: Mono on FreeBSD team <mono at FreeBSD.org>

   During the last quarter, many ports within the mono project have been
   updated:
     * Mono: 4.6.2.7
     * MonoDevelop: 6.1.1.15, 6.1.2.44
     * FSharp: 4.0.1.20

   USES=mono has been extended to allow for easier use of Nuget packages.
   This extension has been used adopted by FSharp, MonoDevelop and OpenRA.

   Work has started on porting Microsoft's open-sourced .NET Core. Thanks
   to the work of another team, the native components of coreclr and
   corefx already support FreeBSD, however, there is further work required
   in bootstrapping the build process and compiling the managed code.

Open tasks:

    1. Port .NET Core.
    2. Test patches for Mono.

Wine

   Links
   Wine Homepage

   Contact: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: David Naylor <dbn at FreeBSD.org>

   The stable version of Wine (aka emulators/wine) has seen three
   maintenance releases in the last half year, and Xinerama support (in
   case you have more than one screen) and GNUTLS (helpful for Evernote or
   World of Warcraft, for example) are now active by default.

   The development version (aka emulators/wine-devel) has seen steady
   progress and reached the RC phase of Wine 2.0. We are looking forward
   to a new major release soon that combines the progress of a year of
   active development with the stability of a release.

Open tasks:

    1. Port WoW64

Xfce on FreeBSD

 Links
 FreeBSD Xfce Project

   Contact: FreeBSD Xfce Team <xfce at FreeBSD.org>

   Xfce is a free software desktop environment for Unix and Unix-like
   platforms such as FreeBSD. It aims to be fast and lightweight, while
   still being visually appealing and easy to use.

   During this quarter, the team has kept these applications up-to-date:
     * audio/xfce4-mpc-plugin 0.5.0 (committed in devel repository)
     * deskutils/xfce4-notifyd 0.3.4
     * graphics/ristretto 0.8.1
     * sysutils/xfce4-diskperf-plugin 2.6.0
     * sysutils/xfce4-battery-plugin 1.1.0 (committed in devel repository)
     * sysutils/xfce4-fsguard-plugin 1.1.0 (committed in devel repository)
     * sysutils/xfce4-netload-plugin 1.3.0 (committed in devel repository)
     * sysutils/xfce4-systemload-plugin 1.2.0 (committed in devel
       repository)
     * sysutils/xfce4-wavelan-plugin 0.6.0 (committed in devel repository)
     * x11/xfce4-clipman-plugin 1.4.1
     * x11/xfce4-conf 4.12.1
     * x11/xfce4-dashboard 0.6.1
     * x11/xfce4-terminal 0.8.2
     * x11/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin 1.6.2
     * x11-clocks/xfce4-datetime-plugin 0.7.0 (committed in devel
       repository)
     * x11-wm/xfce4-panel 4.12.1
     * www/xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin 0.5.0 (committed in devel
       repository)

   We also follow the unstable releases (available in our experimental
   repository) of:
     * sysutils/xfce4-settings 4.13.0 (it requires Gtk+ > 3.20)
     * x11/libexo 0.11.2
     * x11/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin 2.0.3

Open tasks:

    1. Apply the changes discussed in D8416 (simplify the MASTER_SITES
       macro in port Makefiles).
    2. Commit the stable panel plugins.