[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD Quarterly Status Report - Second Quarter 2016

Benjamin Kaduk bjk at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 28 03:33:33 UTC 2016

Hash: SHA512

FreeBSD Project Quarterly Status Report - Second Quarter 2016

   Now available: the 2016Q2 model of the FreeBSD Project Status Report!

   This quarter brings several exciting improvements over previous models.
   We have enhancements from different teams, new features like robust
   mutexes and support for full disk encryption with GELI. You'll find
   expanded graphics support, both at the chipset and window manager
   levels, and ongoing development in many pending features.

   Perhaps most exciting, under the hood you'll find a brand-new Core

   Don't wait. Take FreeBSD for a spin today.

   --Michael W. Lucas

   Please submit status reports for the third quarter of 2016 by October 7.

FreeBSD Team Reports

     * FreeBSD IRC Admin Team
     * FreeBSD Issue Triage Team
     * FreeBSD Release Engineering Team
     * Ports Collection
     * The FreeBSD Core Team
     * The FreeBSD Foundation


     * ASLR Interim State
     * Ceph on FreeBSD
     * EFI Refactoring and GELI Support
     * Robust Mutexes
     * The Graphics Stack on FreeBSD


     * ARM Allwinner SoC Support
     * FreeBSD on Hyper-V and Azure
     * VIMAGE Virtualized Network Stack Update


     * FreeBSD/arm64

Userland Programs

     * Reproducible Builds in FreeBSD
     * Updates to GDB
     * Using lld, the LLVM Linker, to Link FreeBSD


     * Bringing GitLab into the Ports Collection
     * GNOME on FreeBSD
     * Intel Networking Tools
     * IPv6 Promotion Campaign
     * KDE on FreeBSD
     * Obsoleting Rails 3

FreeBSD Team Reports

FreeBSD IRC Admin Team

   FreeBSD IRC Wiki
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/IRC/

   Contact: IRC Admin Team <irc at FreeBSD.org>

   Contact: Kubilay Kocak <koobs at FreeBSD.org>

   Contact: Eitan Adler <eadler at FreeBSD.org>

   The FreeBSD IRC Admin team manages the FreeBSD Project's IRC presence
   on the freenode IRC network, looking after:
     * Registrations and ongoing management of channels within the
       official namespace (#freebsd*).
     * Liaising with freenode staff.
     * Allocating freebsd hostmask cloaks for users.
     * General user support.

   In order to facilitate a constructive and positive environment for all
   members of the FreeBSD community, IRC Admin over the past 3-9 months
   has established and consolidated a consistent baseline with respect to
   the management of its channels on freenode. This report is a summary of
   what has happened so far and things to come.

   These activities were completed over the last few quarters:
     * Registered FreeBSD Group Contacts (GC) with freenode staff. For
       information on what this means, see the group registration page.
     * Created a FreeBSD NickServ account to assign as primary
       owner/founder of the #freebsd* namespace channels.
     * The primary channels are owned/founded by a generic FreeBSD account
       that is owned and managed by the FreeBSD Project.
     * Created the Services::IRC component in Bugzilla for change requests
       and issue reports.
     * Obtained a report of all registered freenode channels matching the
       #freebsd* namespace and assessed the list for current ownership and
       activity status.
     * Assigned freebsd/ user cloaks to users requesting them. For more
       information, see IRC Cloaks.
     * Obtained a report on all nicknames and accounts with existing
       freebsd/* user cloaks.
     * Liaised with freenode staff on upcoming changes to freebsd

   The goals for the next few quarters are to:
     * Complete the transfer of founder ownership for all #freebsd*
       channels. Existing channel creators, some of whom are project
       members and others who are not, will be contacted using known
       contact information or contact information set in their registered
       NickServ account, in order to initiate the transfer of the channel
       to the FreeBSD Project. If the contact information of the existing
       channel owner cannot be obtained, or if no response is received
       after a suitable period of time has elapsed, IRC Admin will
       complete the ownership transfer with freenode staff.
     * Deregister defunct and inactive #freebsd* channels. Channels which
       have no visible signs of activity based on last active time or
       registered owner last seen, have been deprecated by alternative
       channels, or have no other way of having ownership transferred will
       be deregistered. For channels where a sunset period may be
       suitable, a channel topic will be set, and optionally a forwarding
       channel, informing users of the changes, including support and
       contact information.
     * Create and document baseline procedures and guidelines. These
       include: Community and User Guidelines, a Code of Conduct, Operator
       and Moderator Guidelines and Expectations, Abuse Reporting and
       Dispute Resolution Guidelines, and procedures for delegation of
       channel management.
     * Standardize and re-create channel access lists. Existing access
       lists and user permissions for all #freebsd* channels remain in
       their states prior to FreeBSD Group Registration. Consolidation and
       reassignment to the FreeBSD Project is needed. In order to ensure a
       consistent user and community experience in official FreeBSD
       channels going forward, access lists for all channels will be
       created from the ground up. Users with existing access to channels
       may, at the IRC Admin team's discretion, be provided with the
       opportunity to re-apply for access subject to any conditions,
       terms, or guidelines that may be appropriate.
     * Determine the methods for informing project members and the
       community of future changes to IRC services, procedures, and
     * Determine methods to designate existing channel founders as channel
       managers or similar.
     * Update the channels list on the Wiki to distinguish official and
       unofficial channels.
     * Establish consistent modes, entry messages, and topics for all

   Users are invited to /join #freebsd-irc on the freenode IRC network.
   The IRC Admin team welcomes ideas, contructive criticism, and feedback
   on how the FreeBSD Project can improve the service and experience it
   provides to the community.

   While the vast majority of the broader community interacts on the
   freenode IRC network, the FreeBSD developer presence there needs to be
   significantly improved.

   There are many opportunities to be had by increasing the amount and
   quality of interaction between FreeBSD users and developers, both in
   terms of developers keeping their finger on the pulse of the community
   and in encouraging and cultivating greater contributions to the Project
   over the long term.

   It is critical to have a strong developer presence amongst users, and
   IRC Admin would like to call on all developers to join the FreeBSD
   freenode channels to help support that presence. We are the FreeBSD
   giants on whose shoulders the future contributors stand. It is
   important to be there, in force.

FreeBSD Issue Triage Team

   Contact: Vladimir Krstulja <vlad-fbsd at acheronmedia.com>
   Contact: Kubilay Kocak <koobs at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Bugmeister <bugmeister at FreeBSD.org>

   Since the Triage Team was introduced in the October-December 2015
   report, it has been working on the following three major aspects of
   issue triage:
     * Recruiting and educating more users to assist in issue triage.
     * Identifying problem areas, especially from the fresh eyes
       perspective, revealing issues not immediately obvious to
       contributors with experience.
     * Proposing changes to improve the issue triage process.

   Our efforts have almost exclusively focused on issues in the "Ports &
   Packages" component as that is the easiest starting point. Other
   categories like "Base System" require more knowledge and experience
   with problem content and workflow.

   During this time, Rodrigo was inactive due to lack of available time,
   and Vladimir was unable to commit enough time during the first quarter
   of the year, but provided active contribution during the second. It
   became obvious that the Issue Triage Team must concentrate on
   additional recruitment in the coming quarter.

   In the last two quarters, several problems were identified and the
   formulated solutions will be published on our upcoming Wiki page. A
   summary of those issues is given here:
    1. Issue triage, defined as "ensure that an issue is summarized,
       classified, and assigned to appropriate people", is too time
       consuming. Bugzilla automation through auto-assign helps, but is
       insufficient. If the triage process is extended to include "track
       the issue through its entire life to resolution", the time and
       effort required grows exponentially. Fortunately, there are many
       things the community can do, with minimum effort, that help
       greatly. Part of the recruitment and education process is educating
       users on how to properly treat their own issues and issues they
       interact with, in order to maximize the efficiency of issue
       tracking and problem resolution.
    2. Various timeouts are inadequate. For example, the maintainer
       timeout is too long and does not differentiate between classes of
       issues, such as a non-security and a security timeout. Other
       timeouts are not covered, such as assignee timeouts, when an issue
       has been assigned with no follow-up activity. Another example is a
       timeout where additional information was requested but never
       provided. We will be recommending several changes and documenting
       these in our Wiki.
    3. Partially as a consequence of inadequate timeouts and inadequate
       ability to efficiently track issues through their entire lifecycle,
       a great number of issues are open for too long. We have identified
       several classes of those issues and will document the solutions to
       each in the near future.
    4. Bugzilla is not perfect and at times it can hinder the ability to
       properly track issues clearly and accurately, in order to resolve
       them quickly. However, changing bug tracking software is a
       tremendous effort, so we will instead recommend technical and
       workflow improvements in order to improve the user experience as
       much as possible. For example, we identified additional saved
       searches to help track and quickly find issue categories and, more
       importantly, their states. Another example is ensuring that various
       flags and keywords are unambiguous and well understood. For
       instance, "patch" and "patch-ready" can often be misunderstood or
    5. Issue statistics are lacking, and for the next quarter we intend to
       change that. Statistics help to provide insight into potential
       bottlenecks and inform the prioritization of improvements to the
       issue tracker and workflows.

Open tasks:

    1. Recruit more suitable triagers into the team, both committers and
       community members.
    2. Gather and present some interesting statistics for the next report.
    3. Set up the Wiki page with identified problems and recommended
       guidelines and policies.
    4. Find common use patterns and add more saved searches to Bugzilla.

FreeBSD Release Engineering Team

   FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE schedule
    URL: https://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/10.3R/schedule.html
   FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE schedule
    URL: https://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/11.0R/schedule.html
   FreeBSD Development Snapshots
    URL: http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/

   Contact: FreeBSD Release Engineering Team <re at FreeBSD.org>

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team is responsible for setting and
   publishing release schedules for official project releases of FreeBSD,
   announcing code freezes and maintaining the respective branches, among
   other things.

   The FreeBSD Release Engineering Team completed the 10.3-RELEASE cycle
   late April, led by Marius Strobl. The release was one week behind the
   original schedule, to accommodate for a few last-minute critical issues
   that were essential to fix in the final release.

   The FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE cycle started late May, one month behind the
   original schedule. The schedule slip was primarily to accommodate
   efforts for packaging the FreeBSD base system with the pkg(8) utility.
   However, as work on this progressed, it became apparent that there were
   too many outstanding issues. As a result, packaged base will be a
   "beta" feature for 11.0-RELEASE, with the goal of promoting it to a
   first-class feature in 11.1-RELEASE. It is expected that provisions
   will be made to ensure a seamless transition from older supported

   Despite the fact that packaged base is not going to be a prime feature
   for FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE, the Release Engineering Team would like to
   thank everyone who tested, provided patches, provided ideas and
   feedback, and in some cases, shot themselves in the foot due to bugs.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Ports Collection

   FreeBSD Ports Website
    URL: https://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/
   How to Contribute
    URL: https://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributing/ports-contributing.html
   Ports Monitoring Website
    URL: http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/index.html
   Ports Management Team Website
    URL: https://www.FreeBSD.org/portmgr/index.html
   Ports Management Teamon Twitter
    URL: https://twitter.com/freebsd_portmgr/
   Ports Management Team on Facebook
    URL: https://www.facebook.com/portmgr
   Ports Management Team on Google+
    URL: https://plus.google.com/communities/108335846196454338383

   Contact: René Ladan <portmgr-secretary at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: FreeBSD Ports Management Team <portmgr at FreeBSD.org>

   The 2016Q3 branch of the Ports Tree currently contains over 26,100
   ports, with the PR count around 2,000. Of those, around 425 are
   unassigned. The activity dropped somewhat, with 5,300 commits made by
   125 active committers. Almost 1,760 PRs were closed in the last

   In the last quarter, we added two new committers: Ben Woods (woodsb02)
   and Torsten Zühlsdorff (tz). No commit bits were taken in for safe

   On the management side, mat took over the role of cluster admin liaison
   from erwin, who decided to step down from portmgr. rene took over the
   role of port manager secretary from culot. No other changes were made.

   A lot of work was done on modernizing the infrastructure of the Ports
   Tree, by introducing 6 new USES knobs, one new keyword, and splitting
   out the larger targets of bsd.port.mk into separate scripts. There were
   a total of 42 exp-runs to validate these and other infrastructure
   changes and package updates. Furthermore, checks were added to the
   quality assurance phase of Poudriere to check for missing indirect
   dependencies, and advancements were made for reproducable package

   Some noticeable package updates are: Firefox 47.0.1, Firefox ESR
   45.2.0, Thunderbird 45.1.1, Chromium 51.0.2704.106, Ruby 2.2.5, Ruby
   Gems 2.6.2, pkg 1.8.6, gmake 4.2.1, KDE 4.14.10, Python 2.7.12, libc++
   3.8.0, and binutils 2.26.

   Behind the scenes, antoine made sure that the exp-run- and package
   builders were kept up-to-date. bdrewery worked on further automating
   and hardening the package building infrastructure.

   During BSDCan, mat worked on various items, including updating the
   Porter's Handbook, and portmgr held a meeting to discuss various items.

The FreeBSD Core Team

   Contact: FreeBSD Core Team <core at FreeBSD.org>

   The highlight of Core's second quarter has been the regular biennial
   election of a new Core team. Core would like to thank Dag-Erling
   Smøgrav and Glen Barber for running the vote. Despite an initially slow
   uptake on nominations, fourteen candidates eventually stood, including
   four incumbent members of core. The ninth FreeBSD Core team will be:
     * John Baldwin
     * Baptiste Daroussin
     * Allan Jude
     * Ed Maste
     * Kris Moore
     * George V. Neville-Neil
     * Benedict Reuschling
     * Benno Rice
     * Hiroki Sato

   The new Core Team would like to thank the departing members for their
   many years of service. Members stepping down are:
     * Gavin Atkinson
     * Gleb Smirnoff
     * David Chisnall
     * Robert Watson
     * Peter Wemm

   The second most notable achievement this quarter was the successful
   conclusion of an issue that had been on Core's agenda for many years.
   With the creation of planet.FreeBSD.org, the FreeBSD Project finally
   has an official blog aggregation service.

   Core spent a significant amount of time reviewing licensing and
   ensuring that the FreeBSD source remains unencumbered by onerous
   license terms. This quarter involved approving Adrian Chadd's plan to
   import GPLv2 licensed code, allowing bwn(4) to be built as a loadable
   module with support for 802.11n networking. This required confirmation
   that the license terms on the latest dummynet AQM patches were
   acceptable and that its variant on the BSD 2-clause license is suitable
   for use in the FreeBSD base system.

   Core applied for, and received, a project-wide license for the use of
   the JetBrains static analysis tool suite, at the behest of Mathieu

   Another of Core's important functions is to ensure good relations
   amongst developers. To that end, members of Core provided oversight
   over the backing-out of disputed blacklistd-related patches to OpenSSH,
   and acted to smooth over ruffled tempers.

   This quarter saw the usual quota of gentle reminders to avoid
   intemperate language and other counter-productive behavior. Core had to
   take immediate action about death threats appearing on some of the
   mailing lists. The culprit was immediately banned from the mailing
   lists and reported to their email service provider. That person will be
   similarly removed should they be identified as having rejoined under a
   different alias.

   Other activities included:
     * Working with university authorities in an attempt to get
       documentation certifying that a prospective GSoC student was
       legally allowed to work on FreeBSD code as a foreigner enrolled at
       a USA university. This issue was eventually solved by the student
       returning home for the summer and working from there.
     * Issuing guidance on policy around forced commits, or trivial
       changes used as a means of correcting a commit message. In these
       cases, the correct approach is to revert the commit and re-commit
       with the correct message. This ensures the continuing usefulness of
       svn blame.
     * Approving a delay to the planned introduction of packaged base and
       confirming that this did not require any change to the new support
       policies to be introduced with 11.0-RELEASE.

   During this quarter, four new commit bits were awarded and none were
   taken in. Please welcome Emmanuel Vadot, Landon Fuller, Mike Karels,
   and Eric Badger as new src committers. Yes, that is the same Mike
   Karels who was once a member of the CSRG at Berkeley and co-author of
   The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX Operating System.

The FreeBSD Foundation

   FreeBSD Foundation Website
    URL: https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/

   Contact: Deb Goodkin <deb at FreeBSDFoundation.org>

   The FreeBSD Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated
   to supporting and promoting the FreeBSD Project and community
   worldwide. Funding comes from individual and corporate donations and is
   used to fund and manage development projects, conferences and developer
   summits, and provide travel grants to FreeBSD developers. The
   Foundation purchases hardware to improve and maintain FreeBSD
   infrastructure and publishes FreeBSD white papers and marketing
   material to promote, educate, and advocate for the FreeBSD Project. The
   Foundation also represents the FreeBSD Project in executing contracts,
   license agreements, and other legal arrangements that require a
   recognized legal entity.

   Here are some highlights of what we did to help FreeBSD last quarter:

   Fundraising Efforts

   Our work is 100% funded by your donations. Our spending budget for 2016
   is $1,250,000 and we've raised $265,000 so far. Our Q1-Q2 financial
   reports will be posted by August 1. As you can see, we need your
   donations to continue supporting FreeBSD at our current level. Please
   consider making a donation here: freebsdfoundation.org/donate.

   OS Improvements

   The Foundation improves FreeBSD by funding software development
   projects approved through our proposal submission process, and our
   internal software developer staff members. Two Foundation-funded
   projects continued last quarter; one project is to improve the
   stability of the vnet network stack virtualization infrastructure, and
   the second is phase two of the FreeBSD/arm64 port project.

   Foundation staff members were responsible for many changes over the
   quarter. Kostik Belousov accomplished the following work last quarter:
   implemented robust mutexes support, as part of ongoing efforts to bring
   our threading library into POSIX compliance and feature completeness;
   documented kernel interfaces used by the threading library and produced
   almost 30 pages of technical text; completed and committed the
   elimination of the pvh_global_lock from the amd64 pmap, which removed a
   hot contested lock; and fixed bugs that help keep FreeBSD stable and

   Edward Napierala accomplished the following work last quarter: added
   filesystem thoughput limits to RCTL; committed iSER initiator support;
   added support for rerooting into NFS; and added iscsictl -e, which
   makes it possible to enable and disable iSCSI sessions.

   Ed Maste, our Project Development Director, accomplished the following
   work last quarter: investigated the state of reproducible builds in the
   ports tree, with some work in progress to address issues; updated the
   ELF Tool Chain tools with bug fixes and improved handling of malformed
   input; investigated using lld, the linker from the LLVM family, to link
   the FreeBSD base system; and reported on and tested patches for issues
   found. He also managed the arm64 development project and investigated
   and fixed a number of bugs. Lastly, he imported LLVM's libunwind and
   prepared it for use in FreeBSD 11, and investigated and reviewed the
   blacklistd proposal and patches.

   George Neville-Neil continued hosting the bi-weekly Transport
   conference call (notes at https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/TransportProtocols)
   and the bi-weekly DTrace conference call (notes at

   Ed continued facilitating the bi-weekly graphics call to coordinate
   efforts on the i915 driver and other graphics stack work.

   Several of these projects are described elsewhere in this quarterly

   Release Engineering

   Foundation employee and release engineer Glen Barber worked closely
   with Marius Strobl on the 10.3-RELEASE, which was completed in April.
   Glen also merged the release-pkg branch to 11-CURRENT, though this will
   be a beta feature for 11.0-RELEASE. Lastly, with the Release
   Engineering Team, he started the 11.0-RELEASE cycle. Find out more in
   the Release Engineering Team status entry in this report.

   "Getting Started with FreeBSD" Project

   We hired a summer intern, with no FreeBSD, Linux, or any command line
   operating system experience, to figure out on his own how to install
   and use FreeBSD. He is writing easy-to-follow how-to guides to help
   make the new user experience straightforward and positive. He's also
   been submitting bug reports and problems through the appropriate
   channels. You can check out his first how-to guide at

   FreeBSD Advocacy and Education

   A large part of our efforts are dedicated to advocating for the
   Project. This includes promoting work being done by others with
   FreeBSD; producing advocacy literature to teach people about FreeBSD
   and help make the path to starting using FreeBSD or contributing to the
   Project easier; and attending and getting other FreeBSD contributors to
   volunteer to run FreeBSD events, staff FreeBSD tables, and give FreeBSD

   Some of the work we did last quarter to support FreeBSD advocacy
   included: Creating a FreeBSD page on our website to promote FreeBSD
   derivative projects and showcase FreeBSD users
   (https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/freebsd/), and promoting FreeBSD
   research by creating a Research page on our site and conference handout

   We created guidelines and a repository for using the Project and
   Foundation logos

   To help showcase FreeBSD contributors, we published two new Faces of
   FreeBSD stories, about Michael Lucas
   (https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/blog/faces-of-freebsd-2016-michael-lucas/) and Kris Moore

   We published the March/April and May/June issues of the FreeBSD Journal
   and participated in editorial board work. Kirk McKusick wrote a feature
   article on the Fast Filesystem for the March/April issue, and other
   team members helped review and edit Journal articles.

   We also published monthly newsletters to highlight work being done to
   support FreeBSD, tell you about upcoming events, and provide other
   information to keep you in the loop on what we're doing to support the
   FreeBSD Project and community.

   George Neville-Neil and Robert Watson continued teaching and developing
   open source FreeBSD teaching materials at teachbsd.org.

   We launched the first Hosting Partner Spotlight to showcase the
   Project's partnership with NYI

   We worked with Microsoft to get FreeBSD onto Azure

   The Foundation was quoted in Cavium's Thunder X2 press release

   George worked with ARM to coordinate the upcoming ARM Partner Meeting
   in Cambridge.

   Conferences and Events

   The FreeBSD Foundation sponsors many conferences, events, and summits
   around the globe. These events can be BSD-related, open source, or
   technology events geared towards underrepresented groups.

   We support the FreeBSD-focused events to help provide a venue for
   sharing knowledge, to work together on projects, and to facilitate
   collaboration between developers and commercial users. This all helps
   provide a healthy ecosystem. We support the non-FreeBSD events to
   promote and raise awareness about FreeBSD, to increase the use of
   FreeBSD in different applications, and to recruit more contributors to
   the Project.

   In April, Benedict Reuschling helped organize and run a hackathon in
   Essen April 22-24. He then attended the Open Source Datacenter
   conference in Berlin, with Allan Jude, to give a talk about
   "Interesting things you can do with ZFS," which highlighted OpenZFS
   features and how well they work on FreeBSD

   We promoted FreeBSD at:
     * Flourish -- April 1-2 in Chicago (http://flourishconf.com/2016/)
     * LFNW -- April 23-24 in Bellingham WA
     * OSCON -- May 18-19 in Austin, TX

   Deb Goodkin and Dru Lavigne attended the Community Leadership Summit in
   Austin: May 14, 15 (http://www.communityleadershipsummit.com/schedule/)

   Deb promoted FreeBSD at USENIX ATC June 22-23 in Denver, CO.

   Our team attended BSDCan and the Ottawa Developer Summit. We held our
   annual board meeting to vote on officers, board members, and work on
   our strategic planning. Most of us attended the developer/vendor
   summits. Kirk McKusick presented "A Brief History of the BSD Fast
   Filesystem" (http://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/654.en.html).
   Ed Maste gave a presentation on "Reproducible Builds in FreeBSD".
   George helped run the vendor summit.

   We sponsored five FreeBSD contributors to attend BSDCan.

   Legal/FreeBSD IP

   The Foundation owns the FreeBSD trademarks, and it is our
   responsibility to protect them. We continued to review requests and
   grant permission to use the trademarks.

   FreeBSD Community Engagement

   We launched our first Community Survey. The purpose was to get input
   from the community on why they use FreeBSD, what they'd like to see the
   Foundation support, and other input to help us determine our direction
   and how we should support the Project.

   Anne Dickison, our Marketing Director, has been overseeing the efforts
   to rewrite the Project's Code of Conduct to help make this a safe,
   inclusive, and welcoming community.

   Other Stuff We Did

   Last quarter we purchased a server to reside at NYI to improve the
   continuous integration tools within the Project.

   We had two face-to-face board meetings last quarter to work on
   strategic planning and identify areas in the project we should support.

   We also held our first ever staff retreat in Boulder, Colorado to give
   our small team an opportunity to work together in person.

   We hired Sabine Percarpio as our Administration Manager. She is helping
   us manage donations, accounting, travel grant applications, handle
   questions that come in to the Foundation, and run our organization


ASLR Interim State

   Patch Home
    URL: http://kib.kiev.ua/kib/aslr

   Contact: Konstantin Belousov <kib at FreeBSD.org>

   This is an interim report on the technical state of my work towards
   ASLR support in the FreeBSD base system.

   The proccontrol(1) utility was written to manage and query ASLR
   enforcement on a per-process basis. It is required for analyzing ASLR
   failures in specific programs. This utility leverages the procctl(2)
   interface which was added to the previous version of the patch, with
   some bug fixes.

   With r300792, ASLR settings are reset to system-wide defaults whenever
   a setuid binary is executed.

   The command's syntax is:

   proccontrol -m (trace|aslr) [-q] [-s (enable|disable)] [-p pid |

   with possible arguments

   -m (specifies the trace mode to control debugger attachments)

   -q (queries the state of the specified mode for the process with the
   PID specified by the -p option)

   -s (toggles the feature on or off for the given process or itself)

   If a command is specified, it inherits the applied settings from
   proccontrol. For instance, to start a build of a program with ASLR
   disabled, use proccontrol -m aslr -s disable make.

   A ports exp-run was done with ASLR tuned up to the most aggressive
   settings. The results can be found in PR 208580.

   Case study: Lisp

   SBCL is an interesting case which illustrates several points. It is
   much smaller than JDK, and its build system is easier to work with. The
   code provides a very non C-like language runtime which utilizes a lot
   of corner cases and makes non-standard uses of the VM system, at least
   from the point of view of a typical C programmer.

   SBCL compiles Lisp forms into the machine native code and manages its
   own arena for objects. The precompiled Lisp runtime is mapped from a
   core file. SBCL relies on the operating system's C runtime for the
   initial load of Lisp, and needs a functional libc to issue many system
   calls, including syscalls, as well as the dynamic loader. The end
   result is that there are unfixed mmap(2) calls during both startup and
   runtime, interfering with other MAP_FIXED mmaps. The loading of the
   core file and the private arenas are hard-coded to exist at fixed

   This happens to work on the default address map, which is not changed
   often, so the SBCL choices of the base addresses evolved to work. But
   any significant distortion of the standard map results in SBCL
   mmap(MAP_FIXED) requests attempting to override memory from other

   FreeBSD uses the MAP_EXCL flag to mmap(2), which must be used in the
   form MAP_FIXED|MAP_EXCL to cause mmap(2) to fail if the requested range
   is already used. I tried to force MAP_FIXED requests from SBCL to
   implicitly set MAP_EXCL, but this did not go well, since SBCL sometimes
   pre-allocates regions for later use with MAP_FIXED. So, MAP_EXCL
   mappings failed, dumping the process into ldb.

   On Linux, if it is detected that the kernel is in AS-randomization
   mode, the initial SBCL runtime sets its personality to non-random and
   re-execs. This might be a solution for FreeBSD as well, after the ASLR
   patch is committed, so that the procctl(2) knob is officially

   SBCL still has issues on Linux, even with re-exec, when more aggressive
   randomization from the PaX patch is applied, as seen in bug 1523213.

   Case study: Emacs

   The Emacs build procedure involves loading the temacs image with the
   compiled Emacs Lisp files and then dumping its memory to create an
   image with the content preloaded, in order to reduce startup time.

   Recent Emacs sources seem to generally avoid MAP_FIXED, except in some
   situations. When Emacs does use the flag, it carefully checks that the
   selected region is not busy. In fact, Emacs would benefit from using

   I tried several runs of building Emacs and running the dumped binary,
   but was not able to reproduce any issues. It seems that the code
   improved enough to tolerate ASLR both in Linux and NetBSD without
   turning it off.

   In my opinion, it is not reasonable to fight the issues in the kernel
   as most of it is not fixable from the kernel side. The procctl(2)
   interface and proccontrol(1) utilities provide an override when needed,
   but are not automated.


   The set of ports which cannot be built with ASLR turned on should be
   limited but fluid. However, exp-runs may not reliably uncover all
   problems due to randomization, as seen in the Emacs example. In the
   route to enable ASLR by default (with non-aggressive settings), the
   ports framework should provide an option like ASLR_UNSAFE=yes which
   spawns proccontrol -m aslr -s disable make for the build stages of the
   unsafe port. Users would still need to be aware of proccontrol(1) in
   order to run the resulting binary or wrapper scripts provided to do so.

   A recommended approach is a flag in the ELF binary to mark it as not
   compatible with non-standard AS layouts. This frees users from having
   to use proccontrol(1), but still requires patching the application's
   build process and upstreaming the changes. This approach is also useful
   outside the context of ASLR. However, that mechanism is not yet ready,
   and developing it is a larger work than ASLR itself.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Ceph on FreeBSD

   Ceph Main Site
    URL: http://ceph.com
   Main Repository
    URL: https://github.com/ceph/ceph
   My Fork
    URL: https://github.com/wjwithagen/ceph
   Pull Request With FreeBSD-Specific Changes to Ceph
    URL: https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/7573

   Contact: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl>

   Ceph is a distributed object store and filesystem designed to provide
   excellent performance, reliability, and scalability. It provides the
   following features:
    1. Object Storage: Ceph provides seamless access to objects using
       native language bindings or radosgw, a REST interface that is
       compatible with applications written for S3 and Swift.
    2. Block Storage: Ceph's RADOS Block Device (RBD) provides access to
       block device images that are striped and replicated across the
       entire storage cluster.
    3. File System: Ceph provides a POSIX-compliant network filesystem
       that aims for high performance, large data storage, and maximum
       compatibility with legacy applications.

   I started looking into Ceph because using HAST with CARP and ggate did
   not meet my requirements. My primary goal with Ceph is to run a storage
   cluster of ZFS storage nodes where the clients run bhyve on RBD disks
   stored in Ceph.

   The FreeBSD build process can build most of the tools in Ceph. However,
   the RBD-dependent items do not work, since FreeBSD does not yet provide
   RBD support.

   Since the last quarterly report, the following progress was made:
    1. Switching to using CMake from Automake results in a much cleaner
       development environment and better test output. The changes can be
       found in the wip-wjw-freebsd-cmake branch.
    2. The throttling code has been overhauled to prevent live locks.
       These mainly occur on FreeBSD but also manifest on Linux.
    3. A few more tests were fixed. On one occasion, I was able to
       complete the full test suite without errors.

   11-CURRENT is used to compile and build-test Ceph. The Clang toolset
   needs to be at least version 3.7, as the Clang 3.4 available on
   stable/10 does not have all of the capabilities required to compile

   This setup will get things running for FreeBSD:
     * Install bash and link to it in /bin (requires root privileges):
       sudo pkg install bash
       sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/bash /bin/bash
     * Build Ceph:
       git clone https://github.com/wjwithagen/ceph.git
       cd ceph
       git checkout wip-wjw-freebsd-tests
       ./do_freebsd-cmake.sh --deps

   The --deps argument is only needed for the initial installation, to
   pull in the necessary dependencies; it should be omitted for subsequent

   CMake is now used to build Ceph on FreeBSD; the old method using
   automake is no longer used.

   Parts Not Yet Included:
     * RBD: Rados Block Devices are currently implemented in the Linux
       kernel, but there used to be a userspace implementation. It is
       possible that ggated could be used as a template, since it provides
       some of the same functionality and it has a userspace counterpart.
     * BlueStore: FreeBSD and Linux have a different AIO API which needs
       to be bridged. There has been some discussion about aio_cancel not
       working for all device types in FreeBSD.
     * CephFS: Cython tries to access an internal field in struct dirent,
       which fails to compile.
     * Tests that verify the correct functionality of these features are
       also excluded from the test suite.

   Tests Not Yet Included:
     * ceph-detect-init/run-tox.sh: the current implementation does not
       know anything about FreeBSD's rc system.
     * Tests that make use of nosetests do not really work since nosetests
       is not in /usr/bin, and calling /usr/bin/env nosetests does not
       work on FreeBSD.
     * test/pybind/test_ceph_argparse.py
     * test/pybind/test_ceph_daemon.py

Open tasks:

    1. The current and foremost task is to get the test suite to complete
       without errors.
    2. Build an automated test platform that will build ceph/master on
       FreeBSD and report the results back to the Ceph developers. This
       will increase the maintainability of the FreeBSD side of things, as
       developers are signaled that they are using Linux-isms that will
       not compile or run on FreeBSD. Ceph has several projects that
       support this: Jenkins, teuthology, and palpito. But even a while {
       compile } loop that reports the build data on a static webpage is a
       good start.
    3. Run integration tests to see if the FreeBSD daemons will work with
       a Linux Ceph platform.
    4. Get the currently excluded Python tests to work.
    5. Compile and test the userspace RBD (Rados Block Device).
    6. Investigate if an in-kernel RBD device could be developed akin to
    7. Investigate the keystore which currently prevents the building of
       Cephfs and some other parts.
    8. Integrate the FreeBSD /etc/rc.d init scripts in the Ceph stack for
       testing and for running Ceph on production machines.

EFI Refactoring and GELI Support

   GELI Support Branch
    URL: https://github.com/emc2/freebsd/tree/geli_efi
   EFI Refactoring Branch
    URL: https://github.com/emc2/freebsd/tree/efize

   Contact: Eric McCorkle <eric at metricspace.net>

   The EFI bootloader has undergone considerable refactoring to make more
   use of the EFI API. The filesystem code in boot1 has been eliminated,
   and a single codebase for filesystems now serves both boot1 and loader.
   This codebase is organized around the EFI driver model and it should be
   possible to export any filesystem implementation as a standalone EFI
   driver without too much effort.

   Both boot1 and loader have been refactored to utilize the
   EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM interface. In the loader, this is accomplished
   with a dummy filesystem driver that is just a translation layer between
   the loader filesystem interface and EFI_SIMPLE_FILE_SYSTEM. A reverse
   translation layer allows the existing filesystem drivers to function as
   EFI drivers.

   The EFI refactoring by itself exists in a branch on github.

   Additionally, GELI support has been added using the EFI refactoring.
   This allows booting from a GELI-encrypted filesystem. Note that the EFI
   system partition, which contains boot1, must be a plaintext msdosfs
   partition. This patch adds an intake buffer to the crypto framework,
   which allows injection of keys directly into a loaded kernel, without
   the need to pass them through arguments or environment variables. This
   patch only uses the intake buffer for EFI GELI support, as legacy BIOS
   GELI support still uses environment variables.

   EFI GELI support depends on the efize branch.

   These patches have been tested and used and should be able to handle
   use by early adopters. Note that the LOADER_PATH variable has been
   changed to /boot/loader.tst, to facilitate safe testing.

   As this is an encrypted filesystem patch, an error can potentially
   leave data inaccessible. It is strongly recommended to use the
   following procedure for testing:
    1. Back up your data!
    2. Do not forget to back up your data!
    3. Install an EFI shell on the EFI System Partition (ESP).
    4. Install the patched boot1 on the ESP to something like
    5. Install the patched loader to /boot/loader.tst on your machine.
    6. Create a GELI partition outside of the normal boot partition.
    7. First, try booting /boot/efi/BOOTX64.TST and make sure it properly
       handles the encrypted partition.
    8. Copy a boot environment, including the patched loader, to the
       encrypted partition.
    9. Use the loader prompt to load a kernel from the encrypted
   10. Try switching over to an encrypted main partition once everything
       else is working.

Open tasks:

    1. Testing is needed.
    2. The code will need review, and some style(9) normalization must
       occur before it goes into FreeBSD.

Robust Mutexes

   Contact: Konstantin Belousov <kib at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Ed Maste <emaste at FreeBSD.org>

   Now that process-shared locks are implemented for our POSIX threads
   implementation, libthr, the only major feature lacking for POSIX
   compliance is robust mutexes. Robust mutexes allow applications to
   detect, and theoretically recover from, crashes which occur while
   modifying the shared state. The supported model is to protect shared
   state by a pthread_mutex, and the crash is detected as thread
   termination while owning the mutex. A thread might terminate alone, or
   it could be killed due to the termination of the containing process. As
   such, the robust attribute is applicable to both process-private and
   -shared mutexes.

   An application must be specifically modified to handle and recover from
   failures. The pthread_mutex_lock() function may return a new error
   EOWNERDEAD, which indicates that the previous owner of the lock
   terminated while still owning the lock. Despite returning this non-zero
   value, the lock is granted to the caller. In the simplest form, an
   application may detect the error and refuse to operate until the
   persistent shared data is recovered, such as by manual
   reinitialization. More sophisticated applications could try to
   automatically recover from the condition, in which case
   pthread_mutex_consistent(3) must be called on the lock before unlocking
   it. However, such recovery can be considered to be very hard. Still,
   even the detection of inconsistent shared state is useful, since it
   avoids further corruption and random faults of the affected

   It is curious but not unexpected that this interface is not used
   widely. The only real-life application which utilizes it is Samba.
   Using Samba with an updated FreeBSD base uncovered minor bugs both in
   the FreeBSD robust mutex implementation, and in Samba itself.

   It is believed that libthr in FreeBSD 11 is POSIX-compliant for major
   features. Further work is planned to look at inlining the lock
   structures to remove overhead and improve the performance of the

   Most of the implementation of the robustness feature consisted of
   making small changes in the lock and unlock paths, both in libthr and
   in kern_umtx.c. This literally required reading all of the code dealing
   with mutexes and condition variables, which was something I wanted to
   help future developers with. In the end, with the help of Ed Maste, man
   pages for umtx(2) and all thr*(2) syscalls were written and added to
   the base system's documentation set.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Open tasks:

    1. Use the implementation in real-word applications and report issues.

The Graphics Stack on FreeBSD

   GitHub Repository
    URL: https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics
   Graphics Stack Roadmap and Supported Hardware Matrix
    URL: http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/Graphics
   Ports Development Repository
    URL: https://github.com/FreeBSD/freebsd-ports-graphics
   DRM 4.6 Development Repository
    URL: https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/tree/drm-next-4.6
   GSoC 2016: Link /dev Entries to Sysctl Nodes
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/SummerOfCodeIdeas#Devices_management:_link_.2Fdev_entries_to_sysctl_nodes
   GSoC 2016: Redesign libdevq
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/SummerOfCode2016/RethinkLibdevq
   Graphics Team Blog
    URL: http://planet.FreeBSD.org/graphics

   Contact: FreeBSD Graphics team <freebsd-x11 at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Matthew Macy <mmacy at nextbsd.org>

   In the Ports tree, Mesa was updated to 11.2.2. The next major release,
   12.0.0 release candidate 4, is ready for testing in our development

   The GSoC project about being able to connect a /dev entry to sysctl
   nodes is making progress. After some fruitful discussons on the
   freebsd-arch@ mailing-list, Kiloreux finished the design and is now
   implementing the solution. The GSoC project on libdevq was abandoned.

   All Intel GPUs up to and including the unreleased Kaby Lake are
   supported. The xf86-video-intel driver will be updated soon. Updating
   this driver requires updating Xorg, which in turn is blocked on Nvidia

   Several problems remain to be solved:
     * There are instances of visual artifacts that appear with varying
       frequency, depending on workload. Of particular note is the lack of
       redraw when a Qt5 window is partially covered by a menu and then
     * WebGL demos will sometimes fail due to a recoverable render ring
     * There are still some known stability issues with processors prior
       to Sandy Bridge (pre-2010).

   Matt Macy is hoping to be able to diagnose the first two issues, along
   with others, by updating Linux support to the point where the Intel GPU
   Tools work on FreeBSD.

   The Radeon AMD/ATI driver has been updated to GCN 1.0. This has only
   been tested on an R7 240. 2D-accelerated X works. Due to apparent
   issues with user library support, X does not recognize the KMS driver
   as being 3D-capable and reports it as "not DRI2 capable". The OpenCL
   benchmark clpeak fails in drm/ttm, so there may in fact be issues in
   the underlying 3D support.

   The Amdgpu AMD/ATI driver has been updated to GCN 1.1 and higher. The
   KMS driver loads and attaches on discrete GPUs, though problems still
   exist on the Carizzo APU. X will not start due to unimplemented
   functions in libdrm. Koop Mast is actively working on this and should
   have it fixed soon.

   None of the required patches to src/sys were committed in time for
   FreeBSD 11. Although the plan is to ultimately make linuxkpi, drm,
   i915, radeon, and amdgpu updates available as ports, this will likely
   not happen until development has slowed to the point where it is
   economical to backport them to FreeBSD in svn. Until that time, modern
   GPU support will be available in PC-BSD snapshots and in the
   drm-next-4.6 branch on GitHub.


ARM Allwinner SoC Support

   Allwinner FreeBSD Wiki
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD/arm/Allwinner

   Contact: Jared McNeill <jmcneill at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Emmanuel Vadot <manu at FreeBSD.org>

   Allwinner SoCs are used in multiple hobbyist devboards and single-board
   computers. Recently, support for these SoCs received many updates.

   Theses tasks were completed during the second quarter of 2016:
     * Switch to upstream DTS
     * A83T SoC support
     * H3 SoC support
     * Switch to the new clock framework
     * Convert the A10 interrupt controller to INTRNG
     * OHCI support
     * A generic ALLWINNER kernel config file
     * A20/A31 NMI support
     * AXP209 PMU interrupts, GPIO, and sensors support
     * A83T thermal sensor support
     * RSB (Reduced Serial Bus) support
     * AXP813/AXP818 PMU support
     * A83T Security ID support
     * Support for the Allwinner Gigabit Ethernet controller found in
     * USB OTG (in review)
     * A10/A20 Security ID support (in review)
     * A13 SoC Support (in review)

   Ongoing work:
     * A64 support
     * Use U-Boot EFI implementation for ARM32/ARM64

Open tasks:

    1. SPI driver
    2. LCD Support
    3. Any unsupported hardware device that might be of interest.

FreeBSD on Hyper-V and Azure

   FreeBSD Virtual Machines on Microsoft Hyper-V
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/HyperV
   Supported Linux and FreeBSD virtual machines for Hyper-V on Windows
    URL: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531030.aspx

   Contact: Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa at gmail.com>
   Contact: Hongjiang Zhang <honzhan at microsoft.com>
   Contact: Dexuan Cui <decui at microsoft.com>
   Contact: Kylie Liang <kyliel at microsoft.com>

   During BSDCan 2016, Microsoft announced the global availability of
   FreeBSD 10.3 images in Azure. There are many FreeBSD-based Azure
   virtual appliances in the Azure Marketplace, including Citrix Systems'
   NetScaler and Netgate's pfSense. Microsoft also made an in-depth
   technical presentation to introduce how the performance of the Hyper-V
   network device driver was optimized to reach full line rate on 10Gb
   networks and achieved decent performance on 40Gb networks. The slides
   and video from the presentation are available from the BSDCan website.

   Microsoft continues to strive to further optimize the performance of
   Hyper-V network and storage device drivers. Work is ongoing to replace
   the internal data structure in the LRO kernel API from a singly-linked
   list to a double-linked list, to speed up the LRO lookup by hash table,
   and to evaluate the performance with tcp_lro_queue_mbuf().

   The handling of SCSI inquiry in the Hyper-V storage driver is enhanced
   to make sure that disk hotplug and smartctl(8) work reliably. Refer to
   PR 210425 and PR 209443 for details.

   BIS test cases are available on GitHub for Hyper-V and for Azure.

   This project was sponsored by Microsoft.

VIMAGE Virtualized Network Stack Update

   Project Workspace (Now Merged to Head).
    URL: https://svnweb.FreeBSD.org/base/projects/vnet/

   Contact: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz at FreeBSD.org>

   VIMAGE is a virtualization framework on top of FreeBSD jails that was
   introduced to the kernel about eight years ago with the vnet
   virtualized network stack.

   Over the last few years, many people started to use VIMAGE in
   production, production-like setups, and appliances. This adoption
   increased the urgency to finish the work to avoid panics on network
   stack teardown and to avoid memory leaks.

   The vnet teardown has been changed to be from top to bottom, trying to
   tear down layer by layer. This is preferable to removing interfaces
   first and then cleaning everything up, as no more packets could flow
   once the interfaces are gone. Along with this work, various paths with
   potential memory leaks were plugged. Lastly, vnet support was added to
   formerly unvirtualized components, such as the pf and ipfilter
   firewalls and some virtual interfaces.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Open tasks:

    1. Please test FreeBSD 11.0-ALPHA6 or later. When reporting a problem,
       use the vimage keyword in the FreeBSD bug tracker.



   FreeBSD/arm64 Wiki Entry
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/arm64

   Contact: Andrew Turner <andrew at FreeBSD.org>

   The arm64 pmap code has been updated to work with the full 4 pagetable
   levels. This allows us to increase the user virtual address space to
   256TB, with a concomittant increase of the kernel virtual address
   space. It also allows an increase in the size of the physical memory
   FreeBSD can handle to up to 2TB.

   The interrupt framework has been replaced with intrng on arm64. This
   allows both arm and arm64 to share interrupt controller drivers, as is
   the case with the GICv2 driver. The GICv3 ITS driver has been rewritten
   to better integrate with intrng.

   Busdma was updated to handle the cache. The updated code assumes that
   devices are non-coherent by default, unless the device driver marks the
   DMA tag as coherent when creating it. The generic and ThunderX PCIe
   drivers have been updated to create coherent mappings when the device
   tree marks the hardware as coherent. This work also fixed issues found
   with the sync operation where it was missing memory barriers.

   A number of issues with hwpmc have been fixed. This improves the
   stability of hwpmc on arm64, with no known software issues. There is a
   single known issue which seems to be hardware-related, however, further
   testing is required.

   NEW_PCIB has been enabled on arm64. This includes handling the
   PCI_RES_BUS resource type.

   Old interfaces replaced before FreeBSD-11 have been removed from the
   arm64 kernel and libraries. This includes support for compatibility
   with libc from releases prior to 11.0. The brk and sbrk functions have
   also been removed. This allows a workaround for these functions in the
   arm64 C runtime to be removed.

   loader.efi has been updated to use an event timer to implement its
   internal time function. This is needed, as many UEFI implementations do
   not handle the GetTime runtime service method. This means that
   loader.efi will now correctly count down before automatically booting.

   Initial support for the ARM Juno reference platform has been added.
   This hardware is common within ARM, and has been useful for finding
   assumptions on cpuids. Booting on the Juno required fixing the kernel
   to remove the assumption that it is booting from CPU zero. This
   included assigning cpuids and fixing assumptions within the GICv2
   driver that the cpuid is the same as the GIC cpuid. FreeBSD can now
   boot on the 4 Cortex-A53 CPUs of the Juno board. Further investigation
   is needed to track down why the boot fails when the 2 Cortex-A57 CPUs
   are enabled.

   Initial work has started on booting FreeBSD on the Pine64 and Raspberry
   Pi 3 boards. Both can boot to multiuser mode with out-of-tree patches.
   Further work is needed to bring these patches into the tree, but it is
   expected this will happen soon after the end of the code freeze.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation, and ABT Systems

Userland Programs

Reproducible Builds in FreeBSD

   Base System Reproducible Builds Wiki Page
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/ReproducibleBuilds
   Ports Reproducible Builds Wiki Page
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/PortsReproducibleBuilds
   BSDCan 2016 Reproducible Builds in FreeBSD talk
    URL: http://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/714.en.html
   Reproducible Builds Website
    URL: https://reproducible-builds.org/
   Diffoscope Home Page
    URL: https://diffoscope.org/
   Diffoscope Results from the BSDCan Reproducible Builds Talk
    URL: https://people.FreeBSD.org/~emaste/reproducible-builds/iteration-1/diffoscope/

   Contact: Ed Maste <emaste at FreeBSD.org>

   Reproducible builds are a set of software development practices which
   create a verifiable path from human-readable source code to the binary
   code used by computers. In brief, the idea is that building the same
   binary, software package, document, or other binary artifact twice from
   the same source produces identical output. The reproducible-builds.org
   website provides background information and documentation on making
   builds reproducible.

   Many folks have contributed to the reproducible build effort in FreeBSD
   src and ports over the last decade. There are many practical benefits
   of reproducible builds, such as bandwidth and storage savings. However,
   there is a growing interest in the broad open source and free software
   communities, primarily from a software and toolchain integrity
   perspective. Over the last few years, some members of the Debian
   Project have led a comprehensive and structured reproducible builds

   Baptiste Daroussin and Ed Maste attended the first Reproducible Builds
   Summit in Athens last year. Since then, Ed investigated the state of
   build reproducibility in the ports tree, and presented Reproducible
   Builds in FreeBSD at BSDCan 2016. With some work-in-progress patches,
   over 80% of the FreeBSD ports tree builds reproducibly.

   The Diffoscope tool performs in-depth comparison of files, archives, or
   directories to understand why a binary artifact does not build
   reproducibly. Diffoscope results for the nonreproducible builds in Ed's
   talk are available at one of the links above.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Open tasks:

    1. Integrate FreeBSD ports builds into the reproducible-builds.org
       continuous integration infrastructure.
    2. Integrate reproducible build patches into the ports tree.
    3. Investigate sources of nonreproducibility in individual ports.

Updates to GDB

   Contact: John Baldwin <jhb at FreeBSD.org>
   Contact: Luca Pizzamiglio <luca.pizzamiglio at gmail.com>

   The devel/gdb port has been updated to GDB 7.11.1.

   Support for system call catchpoints has been committed upstream.
   Support for examining ELF auxiliary vector data via info auxv has been
   committed upstream. Both features will be included in GDB 7.12.

Open tasks:

    1. Figure out why the powerpc kgdb targets are not able to unwind the
       stack past the initial frame.
    2. Add support for more platforms, such as arm, mips, and aarch64, to
       upstream gdb for both userland and kgdb.
    3. Add support for debugging powerpc vector registers.
    4. Add support for $_siginfo.
    5. Implement info proc commands.
    6. Implement info os commands.

Using lld, the LLVM Linker, to Link FreeBSD

   FreeBSD lld Wiki Page
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/LLD
   Status Report on Linking FreeBSD/amd64 With lld
    URL: http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-March/096449.html
   BSDCan 2016 Talk on lld for FreeBSD
    URL: http://www.bsdcan.org/2016/schedule/events/656.en.html

   Contact: Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>
   Contact: Davide Italiano <dccitaliano at gmail.com>
   Contact: Ed Maste <emaste at FreeBSD.org>

   lld is the linker in the LLVM family of projects. It is intended to be
   a high-performance linker and supports the ELF, COFF, and Mach-O object
   formats. Where possible, lld maintains command-line and functional
   compatibility with the existing GNU BFD ld and gold linkers. However,
   the authors of lld are not constrained by strict compatibility where it
   would hamper performance or desired functionality.

   Over the last quarter, the lld project implemented version script
   support sufficient to handle the FreeBSD base system. This is an
   important milestone on the path to having lld as a viable system

   lld still lacks comprehensive linker script expression evaluation
   support, and therefore cannot yet be used to link the FreeBSD kernel.

   This project was sponsored by The FreeBSD Foundation.

Open tasks:

    1. Develop linker script expression improvements in the upstream lld
    2. Import a newer lld snapshot into the vendor area, add the build
       infrastructure, and connect it to the world build, installed as
    3. Request a ports exp-run with /usr/bin/ld a symlink to ld.lld.
    4. Extensive testing.


Bringing GitLab into the Ports Collection

   GitLab Port
    URL: http://freshports.org/www/gitlab
   PR: Not Starting on Boot
    URL: https://bugs.FreeBSD.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=208793

   Contact: Torsten Zühlsdorff <tz at FreeBSD.org>

   After being in the FreeBSD Ports Collection for three months, GitLab
   continues to mature and gain adoption. Most of its initial problems
   have been resolved, with one known issue left: it does not start on
   boot. Any help in solving this issue is welcome.

   Staying in sync with upstream is now easy for minor versions. But, some
   of the monthly major releases create a big workload by introducing a
   number of new dependencies. This makes testing and updating an
   expensive process.

   The GitLab project itself now mentions native support on FreeBSD, which
   is quite a commendation.

   Current work aims to fix the open problems, get the latest major
   version into the port, and create documentation for the update


   FreeBSD GNOME Website
    URL: http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome
   Development Repository
    URL: https://github.com/FreeBSD/freebsd-ports-gnome
   Upstream Build Bot
    URL: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Jhbuild/FreeBSD
   USE_GNOME Porter's Handbook Chapter
    URL: https://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-gnome.html
   GNOME/Gtk+ 3.20 Update Bug
    URL: https://bugs.FreeBSD.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=210272

   Contact: FreeBSD GNOME Team <freebsd-gnome at FreeBSD.org>

   The FreeBSD GNOME Team maintains the GNOME, MATE, and CINNAMON desktop
   environments and graphical user interfaces for FreeBSD. GNOME 3 is part
   of the GNU Project. MATE is a fork of the GNOME 2 desktop. CINNAMON is
   a desktop environment using GNOME 3 technologies, but with a GNOME 2
   look and feel.

   GNOME 3.20 was ported with help from Ruslan Makhmatkhanov and Gustau
   Perez. Work is being done on updating GDM from the old 3.16 version to
   the 3.20 version. For some reason, scrollbars in Firefox are no longer
   working, though this has not been investigated.

   With Gtk+ 3.20, theme support was again changed, and the changes are
   not backwards compatible. If you have a theme update that requires the
   new Gtk+ version, feel free to add it as a blocker bug to the
   GNOME/Gtk+ 3.20 update bug. This bug will be used for the exp-run of
   GNOME 3.20, when it is ready, and to track the theme-related ports.
   Also, there is a problem with the open and save dialog content going

Open tasks:

    1. Finish GDM 3.20 porting.
    2. Investigate why the scrollbars in Firefox are missing and why the
       open/save dialog content is missing.

Intel Networking Tools

   Contact: Sergey Kozlov <sergey.kozlov at intel.com>

   Several tools for Intel(R) Ethernet networking products are now
   available as ports and packages for FreeBSD:
     * sysutils/intel-nvmupdate: An application that is used to update
       non-volatile memory on XL710- and X710-based network devices.
     * sysutils/intel-qcu: An application used to switch QSFP+ ports
       between 1x40Gbps and 4x10Gbps mode on XL710-based network devices.
     * net/intel-ixl-kmod: An updated driver which enables the tools
       support on FreeBSD-10.x.

   This project was sponsored by Intel Corporation.

Open tasks:

    1. FreeBSD 11 support is under development and will be included in the
       next release.

IPv6 Promotion Campaign

   Wiki Page
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/IPv6PortsTODO

   Contact: Torsten Zühlsdorff <tz at FreeBSD.org>

   Half a year ago, I started a promotion campaign to improve support for
   fetching ports via IPv6. Research performed in December 2015 showed
   that 10,308 of 25,522 ports were not fetchable when using IPv6-only, as
   these ports ignore the FreeBSD.org pkg mirror.

   As a result of the campaign, the following servers now successfully
   support IPv6:
    1. mirror.amdmi3.ru
    2. vault.centos.org
    3. mirror.centos.org
    4. gstreamer.freedesktop.org
    5. people.FreeBSD.org

   This enables 711 more ports to be fetched via IPv6.

   I would like to thank Wolfgang Zenker, who is very active in supporting
   the adoption of IPv6. During the latest RIPE meeting, he brought up the
   topic of non-support of IPv6 being a hindrance to business. I am
   hopeful that his talk changed some more minds and will help widen the
   support of IPv6.

KDE on FreeBSD

   KDE on FreeBSD Website
    URL: https://freebsd.kde.org/
   KDE Ports Staging Area
    URL: https://freebsd.kde.org/area51.php
   KDE on FreeBSD Wiki
    URL: https://wiki.FreeBSD.org/KDE
   KDE/FreeBSD Mailing List
    URL: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-freebsd
   Development Repository for Integrating KDE 5
    URL: http://src.mouf.net/area51/log/branches/plasma5
   Development Repository for Integrating Qt 5.6
    URL: http://src.mouf.net/area51/log/branches/qt-5.6
   Development Repository for Integrating Qt 5.7
    URL: http://src.mouf.net/area51/log/branches/qt-5.7

   Contact: KDE on FreeBSD team <kde at FreeBSD.org>

   The KDE on FreeBSD team focuses on packaging and improving the user
   experience of KDE and Qt on FreeBSD.

   Many updates were committed to the ports tree this quarter, and even
   more were committed to our experimental ports repository. Tobias
   Berner, Adriaan de Groot, and Ralf Nolden were responsible for most of
   the work.

   The following notable updates landed in the ports tree this quarter:
     * The CMake ports were updated to 3.5.1 and 3.5.2.
     * The DigiKam ports were updated to 4.14.0.
     * The KDevelop ports were updated to 4.7.3.
     * The devel/qbs port was added for Qt's future build system, QBS.
     * Qt Creator was updated to 3.4.0, 3.5.0, 3.5.1, 3.6.0, 4.0.0, 4.0.1,
       and 4.0.2.
     * A new port misc/qt5-examples was added for the project examples
       provided by Qt. This makes Qt Creator more functional.
     * A new port misc/qt5-doc was added for Qt's API documentation, used
       by Qt Creator and other programs.
     * The base KDE4 ports were updated to 4.14.10.

   The following work occurred in our development repository:
     * Created ports for Qt 5.6.1-1 (branches/qt-5.6).
     * Created ports for Qt 5.7.0 (branches/qt-5.7).
     * The plasma5 branch is up-to-date with KDE's upstream and contains
       ports for Frameworks 5.24.0, Plasma Desktop 5.7.0, and Applications
       16.04.2 (branches/plasma5).

Obsoleting Rails 3

   Contact: Torsten Zühlsdorff <tz at FreeBSD.org>

   Ruby on Rails is the base for most of the rubygems in the Ports
   Collection. Currently, versions 3.2 and 4.2 coexist. Since Rails 3.2 is
   running out of support, the time has come to switch to 4.2.

   While there is ongoing progress to remove Rails 3.2 from the ports
   tree, there are some ports for which this is a major update that blocks
   the overall process. The most recent blocker was the outstanding update
   of www/redmine from 2.6 to 3.2. This has completed successfully, so we
   can now move on.

   To help with porting or testing, feel free to contact me or the
   ruby at FreeBSD.org mailing list.

Version: GnuPG v2


More information about the freebsd-announce mailing list